Find
Notify
Tools

Talley QD accuracy issues?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
Recently installed a set of Talley QD Torx rings and bases on a very accurate Remington 40XB-KS in .22-250. Scope is a Leupold Long Range Target 8.5-25x50, McMillan stock, and Jewell trigger. Rifle shot .375" 5 shot groups or less with the previous Leupold Dual Dovetail Scope Mounts. Rifle shot .5"-75" with the Talleys. Talleys were mounted via instructions from Gary at Talley and torqued with my Seekonk Adjustable Torque Screwdriver. All torque readings are proper, nothing is binding, and the screws are the proper length(not bottomed out).

I reinstalled the Dual Dovetails, torqued them down, and went back to shooting small groups. I like the Talleys looks, however, I can't abide by a 100% increase in group size. Any suggestions?

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

My experience with detachable mounts, which has mainly been the Leupolds, is that either lapping or bedding the scope to the rings is necessary if super accuracy is the goal.

This would be harder to do with the Talley vertical split rings.

With mounts like Dual Dovetails you can get a way with more stress than with detachables.

I have had over the years a few bench style guns in 7mm Rem and 300 Win made on the Model 70 375 action, and Leupold Dual Dovetails are not available for the action. But by bedding the scope to the Leupold detachable mounts I have got full accuracy potential. I know this because in some instances the barrels have first been on Rem 700 with Dual Dovetails and then rethreaded and fitted to the Model 70.

Personally, if I wanted to use detachable mounts on a super accurate gun I would not choose Talleys because for me the vertical split rings would be just too hard to work with.

On a nice custom rifle it would be different because they look great and there will be some compensating errors from the guns accuracy and any mount problems. Also, with the super accurate guns you tend to fire more shots, which in turn not only is likely to cause more trouble but the extra number of shots you fire will also expose any problems.

Mike

[ 06-22-2002, 07:14: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen!!

I love Talley rings on my heavy stuff, but they are simply a bitch to lap. Very time consuming.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Matt--

The secret of dovetailed rings like Talley is to have the dovetailed bases perfectly in alignment with each other and the rifle. That's impossible when you attach premade bases to receivers that are crooked and misaligned......all are.

If a set of bases are made ON the action and dovetailed in place, the Talley rings are as accurate as anything else on the market and will repeat to a fraction MOA. I've done it a lot.

<DLS>
posted
WHEW, Had me scared there for a minute. I just put a set of Talley's on my CZ 550. I haven't shot it since changing mounts. I wasn't getting the accuracy I wanted and thought that the Millets on there could be a problem.

But since the Talley's mount to the receiver on these rifles, I guess I don't have a problem there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to what Jack said......

My question is why would one want detachable mounts on a varmint or target rifle, that is not the purpose of Quick Detachable mounts..QD's are for big bores with iron sights and scopes IMHO...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate everyone's input. I would like to note that I've spoken with Gary at Talley and he's made every effort possible to find a solution to this problem. Whether or not I use continue using Talley QDs on my varmint rifle won't be influenced by any lack of effort from Talley Manufacturing. First class people to deal with. I'll report back if and when we find out what the problem is.

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote