New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber from 30 TC to 308 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was hoping some of the gurus out there could tell me what wold be involved in rechambering a 30 TC rifle to 308 Win.

Was hoping not to have to rebarrel....

I've found this cartridge, while very accurate with factory ammo, is just basically a 308 with a little steeper shoulder for all I can tell, and I just prefer the 308 given all that I have for it reloading wise, and experience wise as well.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If nobody knows, how about some suggestions on how to figure it out??

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I would look for a dimensional drawings of both cases and compare from there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the exact dimensions of the 30TC so take this with a grain of salt. As I understand the 30TC is a shorter 308 with a body taper and shoulder more like a 308AI. If so it is very unlikely that you can rechamber. However you should be able to make brass form a 308.

As Frank said best way to know for sure is compare the dimensions. If I had them I would be happy to draw it up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, ramrod, I think you are on point, my crude measurements with calipers seem to say just what you stated. I have about 40 cases from factory fired ammo, and another 40 rounds of factory ammo yet to burn, just thought I would go to the 308 for reasons stateed above if I didn't have to buy a new barrel.

Thanks again--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, Don't forget that you could always use it for Trading Bait. I'm not suggesting there is anything actually wrong with your rifle, but if you are unhappy with it, that is one more option available for you.

The new Marlins and especially the new Savages with the Accu-Stock cause my hands to involuntarly pick'um up and handle'um. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HC, good point, actually hadn't thought of that to be honest--may have to check in with the dealer I got the original from--good thinking!