New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi-tech or Rimrock stock ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've narrowed my Syn stock search down to these two ( Hi-tech & Rimrock). They are both very light weight, my goal being to reduce the weight of my Rugher 77, SS .338 by close to a pound.
I want a slim stock, like a Rem Mt. rifle stock.
I'm going to buy a blank, and try to finish it my self ( I've never done this before)
Any commits on the stock profile or quality of these two ?

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no fan of plastic stocks and refuse to use them...The Rimrock stock, (the old Pacific Research Company) has the best of design and feel and it is a very high quality stock designed by a very good stockmaker.......

Rimrock would be my only choice...I have built a number of custom rifles with Rimrock stocks for clients...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Amen to that. I agree 100% and I'm not trying to get a bigger discount from Jim Borden. I have used the Pacific Research stock on probably 20 rifles. I mourned the passing when I was told they were going to stop the manufacture of them and didn't breathe a sigh of relief until Borden took over. With only a few minor problems in the beginning which were rectified, they have turned out the best, by far the best composite stock on the market today. It is light strong and durable. What else can you say about a stock that was designed by Jim Cloward. It can even be pretty, but not as pretty as a $700 blank of English or Turkish.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anaconda,

I have 3 Rimrocks and like them very much. They come with very functional checkering and are pretty much ready to roll from the factory. The one I have on a Ruger has a very straight comb and is quite pleasing to the eye.

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a slim stock too like Anaconda. How do they compare at the wrist and pistol grip?

I just looked at the Rimrock site last night and they did not seem that light? The High Tech goes 24-26 oz. How much does a Rimrock go for.

This would be for a M 1999-M 70 footprint.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a bunch of the Bansner Hi-tech stocks and really like them. Light and well made. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .02 ---------- Bansner Hi Tech, with sling studs, recoil pad and bedding about 25 ounces.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
I just looked at the Rimrock site last night and they did not seem that light? The High Tech goes 24-26 oz. How much does a Rimrock go for.

Look a little closer.
quote:
From the rimrock site: Unfinished blanks weigh 20 to 26 ounces and finished stocks weigh approximately 24 to 30 ounces depending on Model and finishes.

Posts: 22571 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you are doing the finish work on the stock yourself i believe the hitech is considerably cheaper. it is not drop in but is inletted and only needs bedding and finishing if i remember right. brownells has them for $220 or so.
the few i have had done were pillar bedded also by my smith. didn't ask for it but it was part of the price. i dont know if this is something you have to do with these or not.
you might consider a mcmillan. they are in the ballpark for weight and you can get one for $270 or so painted. just need to bed.
good luck
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote