New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed-(Non adjustable) Rings.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats your view on having fixed rings like these installed on a receiver.(buy the longer ones, trim them down to profile of receiver)
Bear in mind,that sensibly, it would be done on an action that has been fully trued.
The rings are 20mm wide, which give reasonably good spread for the mounting screws.
On a new action the rear bridge profile would be made round & same dia. as front bridge.
disregard the bases shown, needed that image to show the 1" rings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack, those look like nice rings, and customizing them as you mention, sounds like they would be great.
I have had some rings with that type of 'top half' which I suppose encompasses about 135 degrees of the 1" tube, and the one catch was that they scraped on the tube pretty good when getting them onto the scope.
Maybe these work better than the ones I fooled with.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"What is your view on..."

My view is that the rings would be waaaaaaay too low on the rifle. I have never met anyone who actually shot better with their face burried in th estock. It is a very unatural form, which is not condusive to fast, repeatable, consistant marksmanship.

In a previous life I shot a lot in competition. I shot with some of the best in the world and never knew any of them who shot in an unnatural mount, such as you will have with your low ring idea. I have never known anyone who sohot at the top of even their local scene who used an unnaturally low mount such as you will have.

The best game shots I know damn sure don't bury their face that deep in a stock. Far from it. They use a natural and repeatable mount.

For some reason, a lot of writers got hooked on the mantra of low scope mounting. Then before you knew it, it was "if some is good, more must be better, and too much is just right!" This go tstarted after a decade or two of see-through mounts, so the advice to go lower was a sound one. But it has been carried to a rediculous extreme.

We are now in a time when the mjority of the shooting public has more money, but less time for shooting and restricted access to safe shooting places. Also occuring during the past few years is a plethora of new gun and hunting magazines hitting the shelves. People have time to read, even though they don't hvae time to shoot or hunt as much.

I have never seen anyone who shoots regularly, evry week of the year, many rounds each week, who shoots with their face burried down on the stock as will be required with your rings. And I know a lot of people who shoot that often. Many of them tried it really, really low, and found they do not shoot as well with that set up.

One thing I can say with very close to 100% certainty is that anyone with even a remote hint of neck problems, shoulder problems, hand problems, wrist problems, or elbow problems will shoot well with your proposed set up. I would bet a large sum of money on it iwthout ever even meeting them or seeing them shoot a single round.

You asked for views. Here are my views based on my real world experience. If you don't agree, then of course that is 100% OK too.

Edited to add-whomever you have do the job damn sure better know what they are doing and have some accurate machines. Every joint in the scope mounting set up gives you a little room to compensate for things being out of square.

If the action has not been worked over and everything dead nuts on, then you will wind up with the scope in a bind from the front ring pointing one way and the rear ring pointing another. They can be perfetcly fit to an out of square action, but the operator needs good machines and experience.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote