Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding Material
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted
What is everyone finding to be the best overall produce to use for barrel and action bedding? How about release agent?

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Make that product. Whoooops!

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great success using AcraGlass, both regular and gel as well as their Steel Bed compound.
Release agent: Pam, cooking spray for metal. Johnson's Paste furniture wax for wood.
YMMV.
Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I like Marine Tex and Kiwi neutral shoe polish.

IMO, a heat lamp is a must to get the thick stuff to flow evenly. Setting it in the sun on a warm day is even better. It's amazing how much a little heat helps the end result.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make that product. Whoooops!

I once tried a mix of banna's and peanut, butter but wouldnt set up to my liking! Wink

Seriously, I still like the AcraGlass and the Gel, I've never had problems with either in bedding and/or stock repair.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Devcon SS putty or AcraGlass is still tops in my book .

Wax the better carnuba based waxes works equally well on metal and wood .

I use Miller Stephenson or Kahrs , TR or Meguiar's wax . Johnson wax works also

as do most any quality paste wax . I even use PVA on Nasty absolutely MUST RELEASE requirements .

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/release_001.htm http://www.miller-stephenson.com/release_004.htm

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/release.htm

TR 104 High Temp
104 Wax 's primary use is specific for applications that need a release to maintain good properties when heat is a factor.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze No.8 11oz
Blend of waxes specially formulated to provide the maximum number of releases per application. Very useful for tooling and new molds.
Compatible with for releasing polyester and epoxy resins.

For filling mag wells or barrel channel dams this stuff works great .

Klean Klay
Plasticene Clay
Klean Klay is a non-drying, non-hardening, no-sulfur modeling clay for a variety of applications. It is non-toxic, sanitary, and odorless. Klean Klay is easy to handle and work with and remains hand-pliable at room temperature. Klean Klay keeps its smooth, firm consistency and retains the shape into which it is molded. Has many uses for sculpting, shaping or moldmaking

Grey in color - Regular Hardness

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Devcon Liquid Steel and kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent.

Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a) I like Devcon Steel Putty for expoxy.
b) I like Redding Imperial die wax for release agent.

a) Bart Bobbit, famous Camp Perry competitor, likes Marine Tex steel bedding.
b) My brother made tooling at Boeing where he got started using high vacuum grease as a release agent for Devcon.

You could probably get expoxy at Home Depot for cheap and use your wife's Pam spray cooking oil as a release agent.

You pay your money and take your choice.

I use Devcon Steel Putty from Brownells, because it is easy for me to order, it is so thick I don't have to fight gravity in the application, and so slow to set up, I don't have to fight the clock in the application. The wax is already handy.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Silly Putty cleans up easier than clay.

Posts: 1691 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote