New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Win. Bushing??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be ordering a Redding Competion Bushing Neck Die Set for 308 Win.for a new Rem.700. I'll be using Win. & Hornady brass seating mostly 150 & 155gr. boat tail bullets. What size bushing should I order? .340.341,.342??? I do not have any loaded rounds to measure.

[ 09-26-2002, 00:52: Message edited by: ronsunni ]

Posts: 65 | Location: SW,Florida,U.S.A | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ronsunni,

It depends on the neck wall thickness of your brass. Measure the neck diameter of a loaded round(s) and get a bushing 0.001-0.002 inch less than this figure. You might even need to go smaller than that due to the "spring back" of the brass after sizing. Try one, and see how bullet seating feels. You can go larger/smaller to decrease or increase the neck tension on the bullet. I like having a range of bushings to be able to adjust for different brass or neck tension. Also, the Wilson bushings (and others may be the same) are the size indicated when placed number up, and 0.0005" smaller* than indicated when put numbers down, so you can actually size by one-half thousandths.

Hope this helps, Bill

* might be 0.0005" larger, I forget and do not have reference handy.

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 337 in my 308.

Posts: 160 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 September 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
RONSUNNI,
Unless you're willing to turn the outside of the case necks to the same thickness regardless of the make, I doubt if you can get away with just one sizing bushing. With standard Winchester cases on which the necks havenot been turned .331" seems to do the job. If I've cleaned up the outside of the case necks, .329" is needed. On cases that I have converted to .308W from .30-06 I have to use a .336" bushing. I think the best advise I can give you is to wait on buying a bushing until such time as you can measure the outside diameter of a factory round with a seated bullet of the cases you intend to use and use just that make of cases. If you intend to use two different makes of cases for whatever reason, determine the diameter of both makes and buy two bushings. If your going to load target ammo that will be loaded by hand one round at a time into a rifle, the a bushing .001" or .002" will give you enough neck tension to hold the bullet. If the ammo is to be used in a bolt action rifle then .003" reduction is needed to insure the bullet doesn't move in the case during recoil or action cycling. If its to be used in a auto loader or pumpaction then I'd suggest .004" of neck tension. Just measure a round of your ammo and deduct the suggested number and the answer is the sizing bushing you need. I've just about finished changing all the die I still use to Redding Competition Dies. I like them. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck/ [Smile]