New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boltface & cartrige head tolerance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Investigation of building a new rifle in an obsolete old cartridge made me wonder what kind of clearance is industry standard or typical practice between boltface and cartridge rim? For instance, if I wanted to build a 350 Rigby Magnum or 35 Newton with case head diameters of .519 and .525", respectively, how much work would be needed to alter a .532" mag bolt, if any at all? I know the extractor would probably require replacement and fitting, but would the boltface require welding and machining? I realize the practice would be different for mauser style and push feed actions like the Rem 700s.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most rifles with H&H bolts would work with those cases.A lot of H&H cases measure down to .525
and extract ok.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strawboss, you are going backwards. Start with an '06 bolt face & extractor and open up. Just avoid the pushfeeds, after all, a classic cartridge has no business in a pushfeed action.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, John, thanks for the info. I knew you guys would know the right way to go.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote