New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silvers vs Galazans recoil pads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some advise please. I want to replace an old recoil pad on my 577 BPE double. I've been told the current Silvers pads are very hard, how does the "period correct" pad sold by Galazans compare? Any opinions/experiances on the use of either would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So far as I can tell, they are both made of brick-hard rubber. And I do mean brick-hard.

Softer than wood or steel? Yeah, but not so as you (or your shoulder) could tell the difference.

JMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13664 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I had a Silvers on my Merkel 470NE and have a Galazans on my WR425.
The Galazans is slightly softer but the Silvers would be my pick for a Classic now.
Does the 577BPE recoil sharp or is it a hard push?
With a hard push a silvers would be OK.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option is the Pachymar makes their Old English pad in orange/red decellorator rubber. The orange/red is only available in 1".

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest a London Guns pad, but a buddy just told me they were no longer in business.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas gents. The rifle doesn't snap your head like a high velocity medium bore might but it's not a maidens touch either, a heavy solid push is more like it. I have problems with my neck so a little cushion would be nice. Craigster, sorry to say London Guns is no more, they're the first ones I thought of. How do they compare as far as appearence goes, I'm not going to finish it as new but as if it has some years and wear on it to match the rifle.
Thanks.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to stay away from the Galazan one. The black base is too soft, and when fitted and screwed, it is possible to pull the black away from the wood.

Maybe I ended up with some from a run of bad material?

Save the headache and get the big ugly Silvers. I would get the one with the "nib", or bird's beak, return, or whatever you wish to call it.

That is the proper rifle pad. flat pads would be better on shotguns than rifles.

There is plenty of excess material on the big Silver's pads, lots of grinding to do before finial finish work. Also may want to use a steel washer under the screw before the plugs are fitted. The pad tends to set better on the wood.

I also wish the London Guns pad was still made, as they were nice and the price was cheap. I've had them all, and for now I will only use the Silvers on good firearms.

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Galazan pads and like them. They have always had enough cusion for me, and I have some serious physical limitations. The London Guns pads were OK, but I preferred the Galazan pad. I always grind off the widow's peak. It gets to be like putting curb feelers on Ferrarl. Yes, you can do it, but it is almost guranteed to be too much of a good thing.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I've had a chance to see/feel the Galazans pad and it's about as hard as I want to deal with for this rifle. If, as everyone says, the Silvers pad is harder it must rank right up there with the old Ruger hocky puck pads. I think I'll get the Galazans and see how it works out. The wood on this rifles butt is slightly curved from heal to toe, I'm assuming I can heat the pad in hot water to more easily conform to that curve and reduce the chances of it pulling away when it cools, opinions/experiences please.
Best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can do the hot water trick. On the last on I did the butt was curved I put the pad in hot water screwed it to the stock and then took surgical tubing and wrapped the center of the pad so as to pull it snug to the stock left it for a few days and it fits wonderfully.

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional input on this. I think the silvsrs is they way for me as I want a hard pad on the shotgun. How, anyone know anyone in the Seattle area that can do the work?

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
G&H sells one with the nib for $35.
Not sure who makes it.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote