Find
Notify
Tools

Peep sight for Blaser 93?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Customer wants iron sights on his Blaser 93. Doesn't want rear sight on the barrel as his vision can't pick one up, so has to be a peep sight mounted on bolt assembly. He wants a Lyman 57 because he says he can remove it quick to install a scope.

Here's my questions:

Anyone know which Lyman 57 sight is closest to the the profile of the Blaser bolt?

And, does anyone know how hard these bolts are?

Also, any other ideas?

Thanks,

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about a "peep" sight for the ( 93 myself.

I do not think it would be practical to mount any type of sight to the bolt of a Blaser R 93.
the bolt housing is aluminium and I do not beleive there is enough room inside for any projecting mounting bolts.

A better plan might be to get the Blaser Rail, that mounts to the barrel, like the American scope mount and attach your reciever sight to this.

Also you could probably haved the front sight mounted to this same rail as well.
The Blaser bbls will be very hard to drill for the front sight.

Think about a rail that attaches tio the Blaaser rail mount that extends the reciever sight back far enough to be in the right position for the eye to use, and a front extension that gives the sight length desired.

Un conventional, but it would work.
An extended AR 15 type rail is the general idea.

However the easiest thing to do, and probably more accurate than a "peep" sight is to get a Docter Optic red dot sight.

That is what I did, they work great, much better in low light, faster anytime, and much much better on running game than a "peep" sight IMHO.

You can get a mount for the Doctor Optic that is a single point [mounts only on the rear Blaser bbl notch] that is like the European thumb lever. It goes back to zero 100%.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also think the Docter Optic would be the way to go. There are several ways to mount the sight and none of them would require doing something that would adversely affect the resale value of the rifle. The Docter Optic is almost as small as a Lyman 57 or 48, although a different shape.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You could probably use a high grade epoxy to affix an aperture sight to the R93 bolt shroud, but I would worry about repeatability.

That is, I would want to know first if the shroud mounted sight would return to the same place every time the bolt was cycled. You could check that fairly easily, I would think, by putting the rifle in a vise and using some kind of indicator.

The other option that I would consider has already been mentioned, i.e., that of using a standard Blaser saddle styled scope mount.

Blaser used to make a version of their mount with a Weaver-style, or Picatinny rail on it, and they may still offer that style. If you could extend that backwards by some judicious welding, you might have a workable set up. But it would not be pretty, IMHO.

You could also rig up something by drilling and tapping the receiver adjacent to the rear of the bolt, then fabricating and attaching a mount for the aperture sight that arches over but does not touch the bolt. That would be a lot of work, but would be feasible.

Bottom line is that the R93 is not particularly suitable for the mounting of an aperture sight. Smiler

If I had trouble seeing the rear express sight on an R93, I would first try mounting it farther forward on the barrel. Either that, or go with a red dot or a low powered scope. I think I would not pursue the mounting of an aperture sight.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the mini red dot idea myself, but a fella might attach a simple L-shaped fixed aperture on the bolt shroud then adjust for both elevation and windage at the front sight.