Find
Notify
Tools

H S Precision Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 300shooter
posted
I have a Winchester Mod.70 300 Win mag and looking to replacing the wood stock with a H.S. Pro series stock. here is the question can you fit a Shilen Contour #5 barrel in the stock ???

thanks in Advance

300Shooter

Posts: 715 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call HS and ask them. Their literature states that they will fit magnum actions with “minor fitting†to the barrel channel.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300shooter
posted Hide Post
thanks for the Reply, I have been trying to get a Tech for the past 2 hours. they are going to be calling me back here soon and I will post the anwser so everyone will know.

300shooter

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
It's important to remember that HS stocks are not "laid" glass they're "chopped" glass and, as such, are generally not as strong as the equivelant McMillan, Brown, Rimrock, Bansner, etc., (besides being heavier).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
It's important to remember that HS stocks are not "laid" glass they're "chopped" glass and, as such, are generally not as strong as the equivelant McMillan, Brown, Rimrock, Bansner, etc., (besides being heavier).

Baloney, they have a full length aluminum chassis and they are at least as strong as of the others. They have been in Military service for years and have had 0 returned broken. They are probably on the heavier side probably about equivelant to std. McMillans. They are much higher quality than Brown Precision stocks. IMO McMillans are a little nicer but much more expensive and can have very long lead times............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The h-s precision stocks are a little heavier than my mcmillans.As far as the full length aluminum bedding blocks are concerned,many gunsmiths are finding that they are more consistant when the actions are bedded into the aluminum bedding block.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HS uses a Kevlar/Fiberglass combo cloth layed over a polyurethane foam base... so that, combined with the aluminum bedding block, probably accounts for the slight increase in weight.

I don’t particularly care for the bedding block theory, but all in all HS stocks are very well made. They are probably going to be more difficult to “open-up†for different sized/contoured barrels though, due to the bedding block arrangement.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are probably going to be more difficult to “open-up†for different sized/contoured barrels though, due to the bedding block arrangement.

Actually, they're not any harder (and actually easier than some...) to open up the barrel channel. The bedding block goes just forward of the recoil lug, and all barrels are going to have the same size shank for the first couple inches before they taper into their contour.

I've opened up a PSS stock (a little beefier in the forend than a VS) to hold a Shilen #7 contour, and included a "generous" free float, with very little trouble (except for that dust that stuck to my sweating arms and ITCHED! Red Face )

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
quote:
They are probably going to be more difficult to “open-up†for different sized/contoured barrels though, due to the bedding block arrangement.

Actually, they're not any harder (and actually easier than some...) to open up the barrel channel. The bedding block goes just forward of the recoil lug, and all barrels are going to have the same size shank for the first couple inches before they taper into their contour.

I've opened up a PSS stock (a little beefier in the forend than a VS) to hold a Shilen #7 contour, and included a "generous" free float, with very little trouble (except for that dust that stuck to my sweating arms and ITCHED! Red Face )

I stand corrected...I thought they went further out than that. In that case then, just be sure to wear a long sleeved shirt when you scrape out the channel! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
As for the benefits of the bedding block, I've done it both ways...

I have one 22-250 VS that shoots great as-is, and I'm not about to touch it.

I have others that I have bedded, "just because". A very thin layer cleans up any minor variations in the block, so I'm sure it probably doesn't hurt to give them a skim coat. (But I'm STILL not gonna touch that 22-250! Razzer)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought they went further out than that.

Rick-

I think the older ones actually do go out into the forend, but at a "deeper" level, that doesn't affect anything. (It's surrounded by the stock).

As for the long sleeve shirt, definitely! Big Grin As well as doing it outdoors, with a fan blowing from quartering behind me, carrying the dust away! Razzer

one of us
posted Hide Post
My HS Precision I built on took a #5 PacNor with no problems and a very nice fit. HTH

OH,..and the bedded HS runs with all my mcmillans. I have many of both,..and I would never turn down a good rifle with an HS.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300shooter
posted Hide Post
Ok, I finely talked to a Tech at HS and he stated that the Sporter stocks are built to take a Contour 5 barrel and that I would have to remove a little from the barrel channel.

Thanks for the help and I dodn't mean this to turn in to a My stock is better then your stock topic.

Again thanks all

300shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
As for the benefits of the bedding block, I've done it both ways...

I have one 22-250 VS that shoots great as-is, and I'm not about to touch it.

I have others that I have bedded, "just because". A very thin layer cleans up any minor variations in the block, so I'm sure it probably doesn't hurt to give them a skim coat. (But I'm STILL not gonna touch that 22-250! Razzer)

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Smiler

The biggest problem I have found with the blocks has nothing to do with anything except the natural, and unavoidable, limits of trying to fit two machined parts together...that have never “met†before, and that have their own unique tolerances. Getting a true “match†between the two is a total crap shoot. It happens sometimes...but not all that often.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Arguing that the HS is good because the Miitary uses it is laughable. These are the people that brought the world the Alice pack and Baretta 9mm. The HS needs the bedding block in order to give it rigidity and strength becasue of its chopped glass construction. Also I doubt it's anywhere near as strong as the Brown. I had an HS once over ten years ago and wouldn't have another except on a heavy varmint rifle that would never see hard use.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I recently installed a HS Precision stock on a Winchester Model 70 Classic .338 for my son. It is a very nice stock; however, the forearm barrel channel was not straight with the action--gap between barrel and stock is significantly larger on one side than the other. It doesn't touch on either side but it doesn't look very good if you look close. Has anyone else seen this problem?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I marine tex bed everything!

A new rifle isn't my rifle until it's bedded!

I shoot it first to sight in the scope, then bed it, then wait, then shoot it to see what it will do then screw with loads, then shim if needed.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Arguing that the HS is good because the Miitary uses it is laughable. These are the people that brought the world the Alice pack and Baretta 9mm. The HS needs the bedding block in order to give it rigidity and strength becasue of its chopped glass construction. Also I doubt it's anywhere near as strong as the Brown. I had an HS once over ten years ago and wouldn't have another except on a heavy varmint rifle that would never see hard use.

I think the point he was trying to make was that they have been used for a long time by some military units with no reported problems and/or complaints. That is NOT true of the Alice packs or the M9 pistols, which started having problems /complaints from the get go.

I don’t own, and have never owned, an HS stock so I am neither defending or promoting them. All my synthetic stocks are McMillan’s...and those I will defend and promote as being the best synthetic stocks on the market, bar none.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have a M700 with a HS stock. It's a .25 inch 5 shot 100 yard rifle. The only really fine shooting rifle I own!

Of course marine tex bedded on top of that pesky aluminum block.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Brad is absolutely correct in what he's stated about HS stocks. In fact, I've seen two speicmens that were broken in two, just in front of the receiver area, and the aluminum bedding block stayed with the rear portion of the stock in both cases.

When you think about it, the aluminum bedding block idea sounds great on paper, but your receiver dimensions would have to match those of the bedding block 100% in order to achieve a perfect fit. Not likely to happen on a drop-in basis.........

I'd rather have a McMillan or Brown any day of the week, properly bedding to my specific barreled-action with an industrial epoxy compound of some sort, and machined aluminum pillars.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I recently installed a HS Precision stock on a Winchester Model 70 Classic .338 for my son. It is a very nice stock; however, the forearm barrel channel was not straight with the action--gap between barrel and stock is significantly larger on one side than the other. It doesn't touch on either side but it doesn't look very good if you look close. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Yes I have on my 22/250 vssf I recenlt horse traded...the dealer swapped it for another HS stock and no problems.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a near new Rem 700 VSSF with an HS stock and subsequently found hairline cracks in the butt . There was evidence of an attempted (factory) repair under the original factory finish .When I faxed HS in regard to this they couldn't find the time to reply . As they had no warranty obligation that was their prerogative . My prerogative is to never buy another HS stock and to discourage others who are considering it . IMHO , after - sales service says a lot about a company . thumbdown

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't you be complaining to Remington and not HS?................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Allen, I appreciate you confirming my experience and observations... I'm not trying to bash the HS stock but I don't think the average consumer has any idea of what it takes to make a strong fiberglass stock for hard use... the HS just doesn't cut it and I think people should be aware of what the HS's limitations are and what its actual construction is.