Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeffery Pics
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Here are some of the latest pics from my 404. Off to be engraved, checkered and back for rust blue and final assembly.

Barrel is 25" and the finished weight (unscoped) is 8-lb & 11-oz.

Here's one cleaned up and color corrected for print.

These have not been cleaned up.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
My highest compliments. That is an amazing rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A beautiful and fully functional rifle... congrats on the highest form of the gunmaker's art!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
What a gun! My congratulation's on your new superior piece of craftsmanship!! Also hope that you get to enjoy it on a trip to a far place soon.

Chris

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome, Chris! A thing of beauty and a joy to behold!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what action did that rifle start with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastico!

Could you give us a view of the port side?

Also would you mind sharing some stock measurements? The proportions of stock to metal are perfection.

Congrats!
Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments. I'm quite pleased with this one too.

quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
what action did that rifle start with.

The rifle was built by Stuart Satterlee on his square bridge Mauser action http://www.satterleearms.com/375_length.htm

quote:
Originally posted by TMG:
Could you give us a view of the port side?

Also would you mind sharing some stock measurements? The proportions of stock to metal are perfection.

TMG - Odly enough I don't have any photos of the LH side. I'll have to take some more.

In the interim, here are some other angles.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
new-guy, VERY VERY nice!

How long is your forend from the reciver?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I like everything accept the bolt handle. Reminds me of my Kimber.
Work is of course excellent.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Pretty slick thumb
Just think. Stu made most every part of the rifle . He's not even a guild member. Wonder if a rifle like that would get him in the guild? Oh, wait, rules say you gotta build two. Wonder if they could bend them? Confused

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle Idea came from Tom Turpins book pg. 102, 103. I had the need to do some simple sculpting with a file it's like an ich you can't help but scratch. It's an integral handle.

Chris, did a great job with selecting the components he wanted on this rifle and made sure they got here to my shop. He knew what he wanted, we did it, simple as that.
Great job with the photos as well, really pulls everything together. A great use of my time and his.

Go collect some trohies with that baby.
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Chris:

Gorgeous looking rifle. I'm having Bill Soverns cut the stock on my son's .30-06 to have a similar profile as to yours.

Great stuff.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Wasnt trying to hurt anyones feelings on the bolt.
Trust me, I would have no problem tucking that one away in my safe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredible!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Truly outstanding piece of work.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Guy

Are you going to hunt that rifle? If so, what do you have planned for it?

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
New Guy,
I'm very impressed with the rifle. thumb
Are the components NECG or Slaterlee's own.
I noticed on his W-sight he makes a safety for the left side of the rifle for a true right hand use.
Are NECG components German Recknagel as they sure look like.
How many rounds does it hold?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
beer... very nice rifle!!!!!!!!!..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would The Guild think about about a Satterlee Stainless Magnum Mauser in 500 Mbogo,
with:

integral picatinny cross-slots on the square bridges

right side safety

integral rear sight island and recoil lug on the barrel

24" stainless "Harry McGowen" barrel of 1:10" twist, .835" diameter at muzzle

barrel-banded front sight and sling base and a rear sight insert similar to the .404 Jeffery above

and all of this set in a synthetic stock ...

Would this be considered too avant-garde?

I'm sure Stuart Satterlee can use Recknagel sight parts or duplicate them in stainless.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is doing a Mex Mauser, with a Mike Rock stainless barrel,McSwirley stock in 338 Fed. Think the Guild will take his card? Sorry I let that out Stu, LOL.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steven.
I should join the Guild, I like that show. There's a November deadline for work, Right?
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
New Guy,
I'm very impressed with the rifle. thumb
Are the components NECG or Slaterlee's own.
I noticed on his W-sight he makes a safety for the left side of the rifle for a true right hand use.
Are NECG components German Recknagel as they sure look like.
How many rounds does it hold?

Yes, the bases are Recknagel. They were ordered as blanks and Stu machined them the way he wanted, and yes, the rifle will be hunted... just have to figure out what to hunt first.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Stu,

For Guild membership, I will volunteer the use of the titanium mauser in 6.5X284 you built for me , and you did make the wood stock from a blank...

best,
kurtvn

one of us
posted Hide Post
New Guy, and Timan, that is just fine! I would be tempted not to blue it! Seriously, I would love to see it after bluing and checkering, what a fine rig!

Congrats--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is WOW! A VERY nice rifle that anyone would be proud to own. I'm glad to hear it will be hunted and not just a safe queen (although a wonderful safe queen it would be!)

Timan,

A guild membership would be an endorsement to your obvious skill and I would encourage you to persue it. You have a great talent in the art of riflemaking.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
One of the best I've seen here, very clean.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle. I can't wait to see it finished. 8lbs 11oz sounds great. Congratulations on a great job!

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wondeful rifle! Absolutely love it!!!

What African hunts do you have planned to break it in? Smiler

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Can you show the bore? I have the same profile and barrel at 25" but mine is a 6.5mm.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
Wondeful rifle! Absolutely love it!!!

What African hunts do you have planned to break it in?

David - I'm pretty sure it will be headed to Africa next spring. I've got an outdoor writer/HEYM elephant hunt planned for a magazine with the new 450/400, and although the new 450/400 double will be the focus, I just don't see how I can leave this one behind.

quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Can you show the bore?
A photo from the muzzle end? I can post or send you a photo, but it will take me a few days to get that done.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
new_guy, since more photos have already been requested can I add one more request? If you could, a photo with the scope attached would be nice, assuming you already have a scope prepared for mounting.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone, just wanted to drop in and say thanks for your feed back and comments over the 404 for New Guy. Additionally I'll be in a new booth at SCI Reno for 2008, Booth # 5021.
It's easy to find. Go to shuttle drop off point
then main entrance,then to the left of regisration and stiaght into that room. I'm in the back LH corner of the room, hope to see you there.
Thanks again
Stuart Satterlee