New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 700 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem. 700 action originally chambered in 30-06. I would like to make it into a .358 STA if possible --- is this possible?? Other than opening the bolt face and installing a Sako extractor, what problems should I expect to run into? Thanks

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll need a new barrel, fit and chamber it, open the bolt, fit extractor, possible feeding problems to deal with. Nothing insurmountable. I would go with a 26" barrel, both for the weight and the velocity. Oh, and fit a good recoil pad. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I thought on a Remington, they made a long and a magnum action that actually were different in over all dimentions . Is the magazine long enough to handle a .358STA ?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a good strong recoil lug like a Holland. We have one STA with the original lug that has bent the lug due to recoil. Yep, this thing kicks at max warp.

Remington long actions are all the same length, magnum bolt face or '06 bolt face. You can squeeze about 3.65" into the magazine.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote