New
Find
Notify
Tools

What causes ring around cartridge neck?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Remington 700 that has been rebarreled to 300 Savage. I have put about two hundred rounds though the gun. It is a great shooter and the brass reloads without a problem.

But I'm wondering about one thing. Something about the chamber always makes a ring around the neck on the fired brass. I've posted a picture below. I can feel a slight increase in diameter with my finger going from the end of the neck toward the shoulder. I measured .344" right before the ring and .349" right after it.

Can someone tell me what causes this issue with the chamber, is there an easy way to fix it, or should I just ignore it? Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is a rechambered barrel, then most likely when rechambered the .300 Savage reamer used did not quite have the same dimensions as the original chamber did. This is always an issue when rechambering an existing barrel.

You can either choose to ignore it (which is what I would do, as you indicate the gun shoots well and there are no problems reloading for it). Alternatively, you can have a neck reamer run through the neck to clean the dimensions up to .349" all the way. But don't forget, there is no guarantee the neck reamer at hand has perfect dimensions either... So you either have your own made, or make sure you ask searching questions before having your smith re-ream... Finally, you could pull and toss the barrel, have a new one made up and chambered with a reamer of your choice (probably no reason to be as radical as this...).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
mho has it right. The reamer that recut chamber has a very slightly different neck size. This is a common result when changing chambering such as 7mm Remington Mag to 7mm STW. Sometimes you'll see a slight ring below the neck of a cartridge after one of these jobs. I think you're better off leaving it alone.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rebarreled or rechambered? If rechambered I agree that you have a step in your chamber due to different dimensions in the reamers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. The gun was actually rebarreled, so it is a whole new barrel. From what I know, the barrel was only chambered once. Could it be that the gunsmith tried to use one reamer, but it broke or something like that, and then he had to use another?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he may have used a roughing reamer to rough out the chamber and then switched to a finish reamer to finish the rest of the chamber. Problem was the finish reamer had a tight neck! Show the problem to the 'smith that did the rebarreling and have him check the neck dias. on his two reamers. If he only used one reamer then it must have a stepped neck. I've heard of people doing this before but I've never understood the point of it. I'd rather have it the same diameter but if it isn't giving you any problems it's probably OK.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to give an update on this. I ended up ordering a neck reamer from Pacific Tool and a T wrench. I sent in a chamber cast and a piece of fired brass so Pacific knew exactly the dimensions I needed for the reamer. It took some practice on using the reamer, but I finally figured it out and now the neck is uniform and there are no rings on the brass.

Thanks for the advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful duckboat. Before you know it you'll want to do more gunsmithing which means a $10,000 lathe, then a $20,000 mill, then a new shop to keep everything dry, then a new pickup to haul all your stuff in, followed by a divorce.

All because of a ring around your neck! Eeker

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
Be careful duckboat. Before you know it you'll want to do more gunsmithing which means a $10,000 lathe, then a $20,000 mill, then a new shop to keep everything dry, then a new pickup to haul all your stuff in, followed by a divorce.

All because of a ring around your neck! Eeker

ray

You know what changes a chick into a goos

simply putting a ring on it Wink