New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tung oil
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Roy Dunlap in his book Gunsmithing warns that tung oil can cause an allergic reaction . He recounts the experience of US soldiers in the pacific who handled Arisaka rifles and came out in rash ,blisters and even open sores .
There was enough numbers to cause a formal military enquiry which established the cause .
I have alway avoided tung oil as I have tetchy skin .

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry! This should have gone under Stock Finishing Recommendation in Gunsmithing .My mistake

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that; but as with linseed oil, no one still used it in the raw state (or shouldn't). It is mixed with dryers and other modern stuff to make it better.

Posts: 17247 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the OP but I am not interested in a product that takes weeks to dry and does not contain modern truly water proof (not just resistant) additives.
I didn't start doing this yesterday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd hesitate to call any stock finish water PROOF. Seen plenty of Remington and Weatherby stocks with their fancy epoxy fail miserably.

Posts: 3561 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True but modern finishes are more than plain natural oils no mater what kind.
We used to slather linseed oil on our M14s on a weekly basis; the only reason they didn't get water logged in the field is because they were already oil logged; not something you want in a custom rifle. I don't at least.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are links to original publications on it:
https://books.google.com/books...ese%20rifles&f=false

https://books.google.com/books...ese%20rifles&f=false

I don't think it was Tung oil but a different type of finish.

"East Asian lacquer is a resin made from the highly toxic sap of the Rhus verniciflua tree, which is native to the area and a close relative of poison ivy. In essence, lacquer is a natural plastic; it is remarkably resistant to water, acid, and, to a certain extent, heat."- www.metmuseum.org

quote:
Originally posted by Miers:
Roy Dunlap in his book Gunsmithing warns that tung oil can cause an allergic reaction . He recounts the experience of US soldiers in the pacific who handled Arisaka rifles and came out in rash ,blisters and even open sores .
There was enough numbers to cause a formal military enquiry which established the cause .
I have alway avoided tung oil as I have tetchy skin .

Posts: 3758 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote