New
Find
Notify
Tools

MAGAZINE TAB SCREW,
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know the thread size for teh magazine tab screw on a Remington 700 ADL? Thanks - I had one hit the floor and head off for parts unknown.....thanks

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a 4-40 screw.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rick - I appreciate the help....

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure.

These little suckers are so small do yourself a favor and buy a bag of them.

Rick

posted Hide Post
Mr UREasy,

Where is the tab on your magazine?

I want to switch a rifle from BDL to ADL, and the magazine I have has its tab on the right rear corner (looking down at it).
It seems to me that the center 'action' screw would not engage the tab at all.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Please bear with me, as I haven't had my ADLs (actually FS models) out of the stock in a decade or more, and I don't have access to a 700 ADL schematic.

So what does the tab do? What does the screw that Mr UREasy lost attach the magazine to?

TIA,

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't use the center action screw...it uses that "iddy-biddy" screw hole just off to the side of the center action screw. Remington drills and taps all these holes so all 700 actions can be used for both ADL or BDL configurations.

The ADL mag boxes are a bit taller than the BDL's also. Before I started welding the mag boxes to the actions on my BDL's I used to sliver solder a tab on the mag boxes to hold them in place like they are on the ADL's. Why Remington doesn't do this on the BDL's is a mystery to me since the "loose" mag box invites feeding problems if it isn't seated perfectly in place...and stays put.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

I'm with ya, brother!

The ADL mag boxes have a small integral tab on the back side. It's actually part of the box that has been cut out and bent down with a screw hole added to the part that fits flush with the bottom of the receiver . It's function is to secure the magazine box to the receiver since ADL's have no practical way to seat the box once the action is screwed in place like you can do through the open floor plate on a BDL. BDL mag boxes are a bit shorter and rely only on the side to side pressure of the box to hold them in place against the bottom of lips machined into the receiver that hold the cartridges down in the box. That is one reason the boxes have the split in the back so the sides can be spread to create some "spring pressure" to aid in holding them in place.

To accommodate this mechanical holding feature on ADL boxes all 700 actions have a small 4-40 hole drilled and tapped just off to the side of the center action screw. It is this little 4-40x3/16ths screw that our guy lost.

Rick

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Does the 4-40 screw enter a hole in the underside of the receiver, or does it just act as a pin to hold the magazine box in position, keeping it from moving side-to-side?

I know, I know, I should just wait until I get home and disassemble one of my FS rifles...

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
George, George!

You're not listening.Smiler As I stated...Remington drills and "taps" a 4-40 hole just off to the side of the center action screw hole to accept a 4-40x3/16ths "screw"...not a "pin."

The screw and the tab are used to "attach" the box to the receiver on ADL's to prevent "up and down" movement...NOT "side to side" movement.

The mag boxes on 700's are not designed to be vertically load-bearing on either ADL or BDL configurations. In fact, they would interfere with proper seating of the receiver and trigger guard if they were in vertical contact with both at the same time when the action was tightened down.

Rick

posted Hide Post
Got it, Rick. I missed the word 'secure' in your previous post.

It looks like I'm going to have order a couple of parts (the magazine tab screw, and the guard screw bushing) in order to complete the BDL-to-ADL conversion.

Thanks for your explanation.

George