Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser experts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Can you identify this from these two pictures? The seller says it's a Czech 98 chambered in 8x57 and that it's still got cosmoline in all the crevasses. Is it worth $250?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a end of war 98K made in a hurry @CZ under German Control, Front ring looks to have beeen ground to remove the crest & then surface ground. stamped winter guard was a late war thing also. With all matching #s & orig stock it would be a good collector. I would not change the chanbering. Smiler

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
A little more information, the seller says:

Excellent condition post-war czech k98 barreled receiver with matching bolt, trigger assembly, triggerguard/screws, rear sight, and floorplate.

The bore looks new and I don't believe it has ever been fired.

The Serial # and czech lion on side of receiver with top of receiver scrubbed of original german markings. Bolt is like new and serial # matched to receiver. The triggerguard is 'artic' variety with larger opening.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i sure wouldn't pay that my for it. looks like a typical old czech artic 98. used to buy them for about $30 years ago. without the original stock etc. getting 250 for one is certainly more than a little hopeful

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i sure wouldn't pay that my for it. looks like a typical old czech artic 98. used to buy them for about $30 years ago. without the original stock etc. getting 250 for one is certainly more than a little hopeful

I used to buy gas for 44 cents per gallon. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

I used to buy gas for 44 cents per gallon. Big Grin

& I 23 cents a gal??? Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't pay $250 for that when I could get a barreled action for $200 from Samco. It is down near the bottom of page.

http://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles.html

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
OK, He offered this to me for $115 now, LOL

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´d say 115$ is a good price as these aren´t scarce anywhere in the world -nice action though. What are you planning on doing with it?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
OK, He offered this to me for $115 now, LOL

I would jump on that!! Wink

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
I´d say 115$ is a good price as these aren´t scarce anywhere in the world -nice action though. What are you planning on doing with it?

I'm left handed so I don't know what I would do with it.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottom metal looks like its from an enfield

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote