New
Find
Notify
Tools

.480 Levergun Scheme, please help
 Login/Join

Picture of Cockerman77
posted
Kinda new here and also with gunsmithing. But I'm a fan of the Ruger 480 caliber and think the cartridge would be outstanding in a lever gun configuration. My question is would such an idea be conceivable, and what would be a good starting point as far as the action and barreling options are concerned. Thanks to anyone who would offer advice.

The past never changes. You leave it and go to the present, but it is still there, waiting for you to come back. Corey Ford

Posts: 19 | Location: Way south of Heaven | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly feasible; in fact Puma makes one.
http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/specs/specs_carbines.html
I don't know how difficult it would be to convert another caliber to .480 Ruger

I don't know anyone who makes a .475 Linebaugh levergun though; that would be just a bit better

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read an article by McPherson (sp?) that stated he redid some of the smaller Marlin's (44Mag's) into 475 Linebaugh. I was thinking about a similar project myself as I have a FA 475 and it would be a dandy thumper for close in hunting.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Cockerman77
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the ready made product Wizzbang. It would be awesome if somebody made them in the 475 Linebaugh. Be like the 44 mag and special. I wonder how the difference in chamber length would affect the accuracy?

The past never changes. You leave it and go to the present, but it is still there, waiting for you to come back. Corey Ford

Posts: 19 | Location: Way south of Heaven | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for info a friend of mine has a Puma in 454. It shoots good and the recoil is not bad at all.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking around for a marlin lever in 44 mag or 45 colt but they are pretty damnded expensive. Was going to do the conversion myself and was hoping to find an old beater...no luck yet!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Cockerman77
posted Hide Post
Yeah Matt, Sometimes those beaters can be hard to find. But, a guy has gotta keep looking. Good luck with your project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF someone had a 44 or 45 levergun, how much would it take to convert to a 480 ruger.

Rebore? or Rebarrel?
New magazine?
Anything else?

Might be an interesting project.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
It would be cheaper and easie to just buy one of the puma 480 lever guns then convert a 44 or 45.

Also the 480 runs at much higher pressure than the 44 or 45, 50kpsi vs ~30kpsi, so not all actions will be able to handle the round.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I really like the fit and finish of the Puma. I was thinking of a Marlin.

Whats some thoughts??

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote