Notify
Tools

Heavy bolt lift.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted
Hi

I sometimes get heavy bolt lift with my rem 700, when I shot military ammo.(308win) It is not for all the ammo, in one pack, (Same lot) I might get 2 or 3 stiff ones during shoting. All ammo is Norwegian standard ammo.

Is this is a sign for too high pressure? I have a feeling that it happens more when the rifle is hot. Can't see anything on the case, but I might not know what to look for.

I get god accurasy from the ammo.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Is this is a sign for too high pressure?

It might be, but not necessarily. A lot of things can cause difficult bolt opening as well as too-high pressures. However, if your barrel heats up a lot from fast firing, and you let a round sit in the hot chamber long enough to get real hot, this can raise pressures substantially. Try letting your barrel cool three or four minutes between shots before chambering the next round, then see if this still happens with a cool barrel and cartridge.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i'll say this again.... 7.62x51 AINT 308... it's lower pressure AND slightly smaller.....

and, if you having heavy bolt lift, trying dry firing IMMEDIATELY after you have a heavy lift, on an empty chamber... in fact, you might try that a couple times and see if you are having heavy lift from cocking piece/sear

jeffe

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
So the chance of blowing my head of is kinda small or?

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So the chance of blowing my head of is kinda small or?

Well, why don't you have your mother in law do the shooting until this gets sorted out.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
The thing is that I'm 21 and it's a bit early for inlaws. Just living the good life yet.

Maybe my sister will do??

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
308winchester,

How does your M700 handle 308 Winchester factory ammunition? If you do not have heavy bolt lift with that, I would suggest ditching the milsurp crap.

My old FAL would occasionally rip the rim off of some milsurp 7.61X51 NATO I had. Of course that stuff could not possibly be over-pressure. Some powders just don't seem to age as well as others.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, please not your sister. There are not enough young scandinavian ladies on the planet. Not worth the risk.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308Winchester,

Is the bolt lift heavy on the initial lift or after the cam on the bolt begins to extract the shell?

How is the bolt lift with other brands of 308 ammo?

Is there some lube on the bolt lugs and cocking cam?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello jeffeosso,

I don't think that's true about the Scots and their kilts.
If you could run faster in a kilt the French would outfit their troops with kilts.

Are the rounds difficult to chamber? If so the necks could have been pulled out. This will also cause that problem.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hi

"I sometimes get heavy bolt lift" " when I shot military ammo.(308win)"

I have experienced the same thing with two different batches of military ammo. The one was Boxer primed, from Venezuela and is head stamped CAVIM. I have found that this was just a case of soft brass.The other is berdan primed and is head stamped,83 top 12 below. This I think is a little hot but again it may be soft brass. I can't tell because I can',t form it into something else and load it. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote