Find
Notify
Tools

Overbarrel Muzzle Brake?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
I am planning to build and fit a reflex type muzzle brake onto my 303 Brit. One hears of suppressors having a break effect but I do not want to lengthen my rifle enough to call it a suppressor. I do want to reduce muzzle blast and I also want to reduce muzzle lift. This does introduce a contradictory factor but surely it can be done - with a little rocket science!
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was thinking of two shaped baffles very close together, the first one cupping the muzzle, directing the blast back over the barrel and the second one being part of the cylinder. I might or might not give it two mounting points - a mounting point at the muzzle end would restrict gas flow somewhat. If the first, inner baffle only vents between the top of the barrel and the outer cylinder, I might be able to achieve reduced muzzle lift.

A young friend of mine bought himself a 223 with an integral muzzle lift compensator. I warmed him on no uncertain terms that he should never fire that rifle without earmuffs! He did not listen and after his first shoot at wild turkeys, he has suffered some permanent hearing loss!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote