Find
Notify
Tools

Glass Bedding a Synthetic Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I'm going to be glass bedding a synthetic stock with Brownell's GlassBed Gel. I would like to bed the action, and free float the barrel.

Any tips or suggestions?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Acraglas Gel on both synthetic and wood stocks and found that the instructions pretty much covered what I needed to know.

High Tech Specialties also has a pretty exhaustive set of instructions for their stocks on their website.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Lefty223>
posted
FYI: A couple tips for synthetic stocks. The bedding, regardless of make/brand/properties, etc. does NOT want to stick to the syn stock. You really need to roughen up the area to be bedded. I personally use deep scores and cuts with razor knives, then really fuzz up the area with right sandpaper or dremel tool and suitable bit.

I also have drilled 1/8" or larger holes down into the bed area to make the epoxy bedding seep down into the hole so it forms a "mechanical lock" onto the bedded area. I make darn sure to force epoxy into these holes before adding the epoxy onto the area to be bedded. I DO NOT trust the bedding to form a chemical bond on these syn stocks as well as it does on wood stocks.

Attached is a link to a bedding article I did for Savage rifles (typo included - the action bolts should be 1/4"x28tpi, not 24tpi). It has some digital photos (in the Word version) included that show where I drill these holes, but the photos are of a wood stock being bedded. See: http://www.snipershide.com/blackrifles/savage_bedding101.html

Tight groups ! [Big Grin]

[ 08-10-2002, 01:18: Message edited by: Lefty ]