Find
Notify
Tools

Re: First Project
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
I wouldn't call a 22-250 weird either; just hated to think of making a PPC work as a "first project". I'd think a 250-3000 could be made to work as well.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One other question; are you new to machining altogether or just the particulars of gunsmithing? Buying a pre-contoured barrel can be worth the money if you want to minimze how much new stuff you've got to absorb on one project.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Gun Parts Corp sells a kit convert a Mauser to 7.62x39. I have a Mexican 1910 that was converted, it feeds very well, holds 6 in the magazine. They welded up the extractor to make it work.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

you will be tempted to coldblue it... don't use ANYTHING but brownell's oxpho gel

jeffe

after heating the metal with a propane torch.. Good stuff..

I noticed that they now offer 44-40 in the paste form, I ordered a sampling for a test drive along with some Dicropan IM. Maybe Ill get this rust blueing thing down someday.

Posts: 10172 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For books and info on gunsmithing try AGI, The American Gunsmithing Institute. www.americangunsmith.com

Also pick up a copy of The Mauser Bolt Action: A Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen. I know Midway USA has it (www.midwayusa.com)

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote