THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC Barrel Contour Numbers: Please explain.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
This is probably a simple question, but I just don't have a frame of reference to start with. Please help me out.

I need to know what the Montana Rifle Company's Contour numbers mean. I'm thinking of either a #2 or #3 contour barrel.

Since I've never seen an MRC barrel I don't know how fat those contours are. I am familiar with 2 rifles: A 300 WinMag A-bolt Stainless Stalker with factory standard barrel and a 223 CZ 527 American with the black heavy barrel. What Contour would MRC consider these?

While on this subject, any opinions as to the quality of these barrels would also be appreciated. I'm nearing the ordering stage on a complete rifle from MRC.

Thanks

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the MRC site and click your way through it until you get to the portion describing the barrels. You will see several small thumbnails somewhere along the path of Technical info on barrels, etc. These small thumbnails are Paint drawings and as such are not really great, but they do give dimensions at various points along the barrel. Generally speaking, the higher the contour number, the heavier the barrel. A #7 contour is a heavy target barrel; a #8 is a cylindrical bull barrel and a #1 is a very light, thin mountain barrel. I'm going to hazard a guess that most hunting guns have a #3 or #4 barrel. There are quite a few barrel makers out there. MRC will thread, chamber and install the barrel of your choice from the maker of your choice without "penalty" because the barrel is not MRC in origin. They will charge for the labor to do the job, but that's to be expected. So pick up the phone, order up that Krieger and let's get it on!
I don't think MRC produces complete guns, do they? Anybody know for sure?

[ 07-10-2003, 08:39: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
I don't think MRC produces complete guns, do they? Anybody know for sure?

Nope, they don't. Barrelled actions is probably as close as you'll get.
- Mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, we do not make complete rifles, just actions, barrels and barreled actions. Our contours are very similar to other companies. But if you are more familiar with Douglas, Shilen, Krieger or whatever let us know as we can do their contour #'s as well. The contours are basically what I like to refer to as Ruger contours as theirs are the most commonly used. We can also do special contours. Let us know what you have in mind and we'll help in any way we can. For more technical information on our barrels go to: http://www.montanarifleman.com/tech_barrels.html then click on the third thumbnail and it will give you the dimensions at different points.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I'd like to contribute my experience with MRC to this discussion on MRC barrels and their contours.

I wanted to have a Rem. Model Seven rebarrelled with a 22" barrel chambered for a 338-08. I spoke with Dan several times before I was ready to place my order. I was wanting a fairly light barrel to keep the overall weight of the rifle down and so I was leaning toward a #3 contour.

Dan tried to convince me to go with a #4 because going with a #3 in .338 the metal at the muzzel would be pretty thin, but I'm pretty stuborn and I insisted I wanted a #3. He even spoke with their gunsmith who agreed the #3 in a .338 bore would be pretty thin at the muzzel.

I pointed out that if we went with a #3 which measured .625 at the muzzel of a 26" barrel then by the time we would chop off 4" of barrel the muzzel would be thicker due to the taper.

This is where I was WRONG!!! (yes I admit it!)

Dan said if I order a #4 contour which has a .650 muzzel at 26" then they will make it with a .650 muzzel at 22".

I'm happy as a clam with the way this rifle came back with the #4 contour!!!! They did a great job with bluing, chambering and all aspects of it. And the turn-around time was just as they promised.

Now to get the stock inletted and bedded. Will post results of how this rifle performs under Wildcats when I get to shooting it.

Good luck with your project!

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote