New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Another kind of Mauser safety
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fla3006, I would have thought that like a double rifle, a safety that is on when it is on and off when it is off would be OK. The bolt not being locked should not be an issue should it? The primary concern should be that the firing pin soul be locked for safety. In your hands, the fact that the bolt can be mobile, especially a commercial bolt handle on the Mauser, means that you are instantly ready to fire and not fiddling with the safety. Basically an off on switch. Do you have any of the ZG 47 type safeties that I could try out on the 500 Jeffery when she is built?? I already have a safety from a '21 to try out.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kurt, do you think you have a safety from a Brno '21/22 that you might want to sell? I would like to use that type on a couple of project rifles I am working on. If that type of safety is used is there any special metal work that must be done to fit it and if later, you change your mind and want a standard Mauser safety will the firing pin or cocking piece be ruined??

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brno 21/22 safety is pretty much a drop-in fit in a 98 action with an original wing safety. Sometimes an aftermarket trigger/sear lets the cocking piece sit a little further forward than normal, and the safety might need a little beveling for it to start camming the cocking piece rearward. (I do not believe it wise to bevel the cocking piece).

As a general rule: if the flag safety worked, than the Brno safety is probably a drop-in fit.

I still haven't looked thru my parts drawers yet, maybe tonight I will have time.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
404, I don't have any spare ZG safeties, all mine are on rifles. "Johan" in Sweden had some awhile back he might sell. The ZG safety looks best on a Brno ZG, very unique. Why some people take them off is beyond my comprehension. I have always used Dakotas (Pete Grisels) on Mauser 98 customs, which look and contour best on that particular action, IMO.

Regarding the 21/22 safety, as I mentioned I have walked through brush on more than one occasion with my 21-H 8x57 slung on my back, only to find the bolt nearly open when I checked the rifle- not a good thing if you had to shoot quickly.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote