THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voere - Is this a Santa Barbara '98 action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
???

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would say that was a barrel taken from a Voere and put on to another action. I had a 1950s Voere 7X64 built on a Mod 98 action which had good workmanship, modern twin set trigger with tang shotgun safety, and claw mounts.

All modern Voeres are built on their own actions with 3 lug push feed bolt.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It sure looks like a Santa Barbara action to me.
I have no experience with Voere. The triggers on SB actions come all the way out under the tang as in that picture and it looks like a case hardened casting which I think SB's are.
At least the one I have fits that description.
I hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, this guess is incorrect. This is a 60's - 70's era rifle with a windsor style stock in 7mm Rem Mag. The pairing is definitely as came from the factory.

quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I would say that was a barrel taken from a Voere and put on to another action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply. I've never seen a SB 98 before and had hoped my Austrian gun with C-ring had a quality action. I'll just flip this one to one of the local elk hunters.

Live n' learn I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by jpex:
It sure looks like a Santa Barbara action to me.
I have no experience with Voere. The triggers on SB actions come all the way out under the tang as in that picture and it looks like a case hardened casting which I think SB's are.
At least the one I have fits that description.
I hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sure looks like a Parker Hale trigger on a Spanish made M98 action - made by the Santa Barbara arsenal (formerly the La Coruna arsenal)and marketed by the British firm of Parker Hale. The barrel is a later fitment. The Z prefix serial number is found on many Parker Hale target rifles sold as the PH 1200TX model. The sporters were sold as PH1200 models -with bottom metal - or with a simple recess in the wooden stock under the Centurion brand.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
that is the serial number style that I have seen on all the Santa Barbara actions.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May have to remove trigger but on the ones (Spainish) I have looked at had made in Spain on tang, but sure looks spainish.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Santa Barbara action here and I would say that yours is identical. The trigger is the same, the markings are the same and are in the same place, the serial number is in the same place, and they look the same, although mine is a magnum action as the serial # says
MAG-224XX.