Find
Notify
Tools

Mil surp to varminter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted
I have a lot of old military rifles and love to collect them. In a couple of my group buys I have run into some that are just crap. I was thinking of possibly turning a Mauser 98, Enfield #4 mk1, or a Mosin M44 into a sporter varmint. I have never seen a Mosin have this done to it and would like to know if this is possible or advised. The mauser or enfield would possibly get a 220 swift lilja barrel. Any thoughts or ideas in which direction. It seems that the mauser is the standard on which to build but might be willing to do something diffrent. While looking maybe some insight on this. Is it possible to re-line or bore an existing barrel out? The mosin M44 that i have has a bad bore but the rifle is perfect, thought a wildcat in 338x54r would be good backup elk medicine. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rainman, hate to rain on your parade (I know bad pun) but with the exception of the Mauser, neither of the other two are "idealy" suitable for what you want. I am sure that some of our Canandian and Aussie members will be able to shed light on suitable conversions for the Enfield and our Scandanavian members will be able to do the same for the MN. Even the Mauser will cost substantialy more than a new Savage in a suitable caliber will. There have been numerous threads on converting Mausers with the cost estimates. It just plain doesn't make sense in dollars and cents. However, don't let that stop you, none of the rest of us do. The Mauser would be my choice of the 3 in either 22-250 or 220 for comercial rounds with a 6mm-06 or 25-06 getting a good look. Just be aware up front that you will have considerable investment in it.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a cheap rebore there is a fellow in Oregon that is reboring barrels for $145. I think his name is Jes Ocumpaugh and somebody posted a link to his ad here but I don't remember where the ad was. Maybe a search would turn it up.

A 338x54R ought to be a potent round.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Give this gunsmith a call. He has built several varmint rifles on VZ-24 actions.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what ever it is worth my Dad gave me a NRA Springfield 1903 for my 11th birthday in 1952. As soon as I was able I began the process of sportizing it: I wish I still had the Springfield as original, and had bought a M70. I would be a lot of money ahead. I still have the Springfield, in fact it has accounted for most of my african kills.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote