Find
Notify
Tools

11-87
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted
How to replace the feed catch on a 11-87 is it as simple as it looks?

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It is simply staked in place. However, when I do these, I clean and degrease the receiver and feed latch and apply a little 271 LocTite to the back of feed latch and once staked, it becomes a permanent repair.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Westpac

What do you mean by staked in place and do you just pull out the old one with say a small flat blade screw driver.

I changed one on my 870 years ago but do not remember how I did it.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt-ducks:
Westpac

What do you mean by staked in place and do you just pull out the old one with say a small flat blade screw driver.

I changed one on my 870 years ago but do not remember how I did it.

Thanks

Usually when the problem is brought to my attention the feed latch is loose and comes out with the trigger group. If you wish to remove it from it's groove, you will need to carefully pry it loose with a flat blade screw driver. You will see where and how it is staked in place when you remove it. There is a special "U" shaped tool designed to stake these. The 870's, 1100's and 11-87's are all this way.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
"Staking" is a process where by metal is displaced into a gap usually by means of a pointed tool like a center punch and a hammer. The displaced metal holds the parts together. You see it most often used to hold screws in place. If you have an AR-15 rifle the gas key cap screws are almost always staked in. As Westpac has described, Remington has used "staking" for many years to hold the feed laches in place.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
WP and TT

Thanks I got it in I thought that's what you ment by staking but was not sure took me a couple of tries I used a center punch along with a small needle nose vise grips and the small pin to line it up in place.

Once again thanks both of you now I got my duck gun back.