New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening a Sako L461 Vixen Bolt Face
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone opened up the .222 sized bolt face on the older 46/461 Sakos to accept a PPC case? I know the later A1 rifles came in PPC calibers but I think the extractor is different/shorter on those. There appears to be room on the bolt face, but I don't think the standard extractor would work correctly.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question, and I don't know the answer. I would also wonder whether the feed rails are different for the fatter case.
I have two A1s in 22PPC, not for sale, but if I cam give you and info off of them, let me know.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, I may get back to you. Feeding from the mag box would be a nice enhancement for one of the two rounds I have in mind which is a 30 cal Improved Grendel. The other would be a 22 or 6PPC and single shot is OK.
Could you post or email me a closeup of the bolt face and extractor on your A1?

Still like to hear if anyone has done this on an older Sako.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had a 30-06 Sako Bolt opened up to magnum caliber, before I was doing my own work. A simple matter to put a drop of weld on the underside to allow it to slide over the bigger case. Might be something to try. Opening up the bolt face should be no big deal

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote