Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Alignment Issues...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
I have a stock Rem 700 Sendero SF in .300 Win Mag. On top I have placed a Nikon 6.5-20 x 50 AO scope. I mounted the scope on Badger rings and bases following manufacturer instructions.

After sighting the rifle in I am almost 2/3 to the left wall for adjustment of the reticle to hit dead center. I don't think this is right. I've been advised not to use shims for this. What is the procedure I can use to eliminate the scope mounting holes drilled off center in the action? I hate to go out and purchase other scope mounts and rings, but could swap out scopes.

Barring purchasing scope ring alignment tools and reamers and lapping tools is there anything I can do? What is the forum consensus about lapping rings to ensure the scope isn't flexed?

Thanks in advance

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Burris signature rings and inserts. Works good for me. I have found on my own rifles of different manufacturers some of them will be drilled and tapped incorrect.

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RenegadeRN:
After sighting the rifle in I am almost 2/3 to the left wall for adjustment of the reticle to hit dead center. I don't think this is right. I've been advised not to use shims for this. What is the procedure I can use to eliminate the scope mounting holes drilled off center in the action? I hate to go out and purchase other scope mounts and rings, but could swap out scopes.

This is the kind of problem we europeans don't have to deal with! A set o EAW mounts and the problem goes away!

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Have a smith fit new bases. Or send it back to Remington.
Been there and done that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the very same problem on a Rem700 cal 308W. Burris Signature rings and their offset inserts cured the problem perfectly.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
How do I check hole/base alignment at home? Or as you said, should I have a gunsmith perform this?

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The good news is you are not alone. This problem occus to one degree or another in most factory produced guns.

Things that can cause the condition you are experiencing:

Screw holes off center.
Barrel not square with receiver.
Crown not square
Uneven forend contact.

Before you panic, remove barrelled action from the stock. Optically re-center the scope. Note position of the cross hairs in relationship to the boresighter grid with the action out of the stock. Assemble action in stock and re-check the psoition of the cross hairs.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Use 2, 1" rods, square cut on the ends. Put them in the rings. Leave about a 1/16" between them when you tighten the rings.This should tell you how far off the rings are out of alignment.

Now for the bad news, If you have a one piece base, this procedure wont tell you squatt.

Malm has given you good advice. You might also try another scope..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a new Marlin 17HMR with the Weaver scope mounts in the box with the rifle.

I could attach the mounts so that the rear scope mount pointed one way and the front one pointed the other.

The countersink in to the Weaver mount has too much clearance for the screw shank and head to locate the mounts accurately enough with respect to the receiver.

My solution for this and other problems is to glass bed Weaver mounts to the receiver while fixtured so that:
1) The scope in the middle of elevation and windage measurements is aligned with bore sighting.
2) The scope mounts are aligned with each other, so that ring lapped neither needed nor desirable.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for their input. I will folluw your instructions and see what transpires. Ya'll are fantastic.