Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

re-stocking a-bolt w/ boss.
 Login/Join

posted
I want to re-stock my a-bolt but I am told that browning uses a special rubber like compound for bedding at the lug and reciever. I am told by browning that this is a must but NO one at browning knows anything about the material.
Has anyone else heard of this? Any suggestions? )other than buying something else)
Thanks,

Bruce

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about, probably that same special bedding compound (hot glue) that winchester slobbers in the recoil lug area. If it's properly seated in the stock either by way of skill in inletting or making up for a lack of such with bedding compound I'm sure it'll be miles ahead of what came from Browning and their special compounds Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The Browning "goop" is not special, just cheap to apply.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goop may apply to most guns, but with a Browning Boss, the rubber compound helps the Boss work. You might be successful with a regular bedding compound, but you may not.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I rebedded a Browning A-Bolt for a friend, and for starters I removed that cheap "thermoplastic" gunk that Browning's Japanese subcontractor applied (and not very well, either), then replaced it with Brownell's Acraglass Gel. That rifle produced 2" groups before I bedded it, and it shot into less than an inch with the same ammo after rebedding.

There is hardly any magic to what Browning does to the A-Bolt in the bedding department. The methodology they employ is quick, and it's cheap. I am continually amazed at how well so many of those rifle shoot right out of the box.....

AD