New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference in Winchester and Remington
 Login/Join

<keppler>
posted
I have been reading a lot about rifles and have noticed something. It seems I read more about Remington rifles being used for accurate shooting and used for building these kind of rifles than Winchesters.
I have always been a Winchester fan when it comes to rifles and own several with no complaints about any. Of course they are all factory with no modifications since I use them for hunting and they perform very well.
I do have 1 Remington 700 in 30-06 that I have never shot so I cant say how it shoots but I expect it will shoot good also.
I guess what I'm asking is why do folks use more Remingtons than Winchesters when building rifles. Are the actions better or the bolts or??? Just something I was thinking about.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remingtons are less expensive and are easier to work on. There is also a myth that CRF rifles are inaccurate by nature.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remingtons are a little easier to fit a barrel to and the round action is easier to bed. Other than that and being cheaper they have no advantage and in fact are not that desireable for a hunting rifle as a M 70.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<keppler>
posted
Thanks for the reply's, but what is a CRF rifle?

posted Hide Post
Another reason and the main reason you see Remingtons being used to build rifles for accurate benchrest type shooting is the trigger.
You can buy jewel triggers for the remington which is a big plus.

Benchshooter

Posts: 2 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love M700's, and have a bunch. However, I also have a pre-64 M70 that I use exclusively for long range (600 yard) prone matches. Accuracy is vital to that game, and I get it from that rifle.

Is the M70 "better" than a M700? No, but my gunsmith buddy had built this rifle for his personal use, then decided to sell it when I was talking to him about building me a M700 for the same purpose. Because I know him, his work, and how this rifle shot (I had borrowed it for an earlier match) I bought it rather than wait (and pay) for another M700 to be built.

He is a hard-core M70 fan, I'm the same way about my M700's. Which is better? To me, they both shoot fine.

BTW, CRF is Controlled Round Feed, a feature some feel is more desirable, usually when talking about dangerous game rifles. That's a whole 'nother debate. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that CFR stands for Controlled Round Feed. The early military rifles were made this way because illiterate conscripts couldn't deal with more advanced mechanisms is the reason that I heard.
Remingtons have quite a few accessories made for them is another reason that they are popular with the accuracy crowd. Triggers, many available down to 1.5 oz. Receiver sleeves are available, scope bases with an angle built into them, oversize (or no) recoil lugs are an option and plenty of benchrest and varmint type stocks made for them. And the round receivers are very user friendly to blueprint or accurize or whatever you wish to call it when you rework them for benchrest uses. And Ti firing pins and aluminum bolt plugs and heavier firing pin springs are available.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
keppler,

Remingtons are generally somewhat more accurate out of the box and have a multi-adjustable trigger which is desirable for pin point accuracy, if not for hunting.

When building a custom any competent smith should be able to make a Win. shoot just as good. There are many aftermarket triggers available for them also if you so desire. And the stock trigger is superb if worked over by a good smith.

BTW, CRF is controlled round fee.

If you want any more info check out the "boycott winchester,get real people" thread.

Later,

Aaron

Posts: 79 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul Mauser designed controlled round feeding for his rifle action for one simple reason: battlefield survival.

Controlled round feeding prevents double feeding and greatly reduces the possibility that a round will be left stuck in the chamber. Both of those problems can be fatal in combat, which is what Paul Mauser designed his rifle for in the first place.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote