Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 640 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted
Alright, had a customer come in and ask for a trigger job on one of these little revolvers. He wouldn't budge and was very adament at actually doing this, so I went ahead and tore it apart and gave it a good internal polish and installed the Wolff spring package. Came out surprisingly nice, actually much better than I was expecting. Now for the kicker. The cylinder isn't revolving whenever the trigger is pulled, obviously dealing with the pawl. There's a little nub/protrusion inside the back of the trigger but it mates up to the recess in the block behind the trigger. One gent said he used that little lever thing to apply pressure to the pawl and it works out, which I really don't think is the best idea. I tried moving the little spring inside as well and it will not reach up to the two pins that hold the pawl on the trigger. Any help gentleman?! Is there a spring I'm missing or is there a answer that I'm overlooking?!
By the way this is a fairly recent stainless steel internal hammer model 640.
Any help appreciated, thanks!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you pulled the hand from the trigger, look for part #30. It comes out pretty easy and when you least expect it too.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/...+&model=J-Frame+640+

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac, you're a lifesaver! That spring is still in the trigger actually, although is that the spring that's supposed to provide the tension for the hand?? Or is it that little protrusion noted as part #49? Thanks!

-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes it's the spring that provides the tension. Part 49 connects the trigger to the rebound slide which returns the trigger. Semper fi!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got it back together and it works likes a charm. Thanks Westpac!

-Dr. Ski

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ooh rah!

-Dr. Ski