THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anybody ever used Michael's "flush-mount" or "push-button" sling mounts?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody ever used Michael's "flush-mount" or "push-button" sling mounts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Been looking at these and considering them for a McMillan I have that currently does not have any studs at all. They look interesting. Seems like they would work well with a fiberglass stock, and they are knid of different, so that appeals to me a bit too, I must admit.

Of course I am afraid of the obvious, hiking up a hill or tree, and the darned thing comes undone some how. That would be very, very bad! I should probably mention that the application is a strictly hunting, big-game gun.

So, anybody ever used this system? If so, how did you like it? Do they easily come undone?

Thanks in advance guys!

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bart,

These are OK for a rifle you shoot off a sandbag, they being smooth and all, but I've used them and I don't like them. They are a bit finicky to fit, plus you cannot use a bipod with them, which was my main beef.

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about these too and my question was the same, how easy is it to hit the button and have it pop off while hunting? I liked the fact that when you removed the sling the female end of it was flush in the stock.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,

I put them on my M77VT because it spends most of its' time on the bags. I do like them. It would be very unlikley that they come un-done by accident - it is hard to remove them when you want to! The button is well protected inside the sling loop.

As mentioned above, about the only thing that I do not like is that you can not readily install a bipod, but I don't use one on the VT.

I used a forstner bit in the drill press for the holes, and epoxied them in. No problems thus far.

Cheers, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My buddy swears by them, and has installed them on at least 1/2 dozen of his rifles. He spends 6 weeks hunting Kodiak for deer every year, so I imagine has put them through their paces enough to find any shortcomings. Kodiak does have a few hills to hike up [Wink]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are forstner bits? are they the ones with a flat point on them? could I buy those anywhere?

thanks guys. I have a stock that needs studs and I had some of the screw in ones but don't like the fact that for the sling to move freely it sometimes unscrews them a turn or two.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,

Yes, Forstner bits are for use in wood only, and produce a flat-bottom hole except for the centering spot. I don't see any reason that a proper size regular twist drill bit wouldn't work, though*. The sketch on the right should give you a good idea of what they look like:
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/wstip03.html
I know that they have them a Lowe's, so most well-stocked hardware stores should have them.

Regards, Bill

* make sure you don't go all the way through the fore end to the barrel channel

[ 07-18-2003, 23:22: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work fine properly installed....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have them on a .22 Abolt. They work well but are a real pain to get the button depressed to let go of the sling. Like a Swedish Mauser magazine release. I usually use something to depress it.

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can somebody provide a link so I can get a look at them? Sounds like something I might want to put on my sandbag-queen-in-progress.
Hold it! A quick and dirty search yielded www.tracertechnology.com/Swivel_Shotgun

[ 07-19-2003, 21:16: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote