Find
Notify
Tools

Greener Saftey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
Anyone here install one of these? If so any tips or tricks?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I take the unanimous silence as a no.
ADam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Patience, pilgrim. It's our birthday (holiday.)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
Anyone here install one of these? If so any tips or tricks?

Adam
Give it a few weeks. Most builders seem to be sold on the 3 position M70 type safeties or the re-cut 2 pos. military shroud types. Might want to post a TTT in this thread every few days. Some of the old-timers will eventually see it. Might be a good idea to mention the model/type you are considering for the conversion as well.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and purchased two. I figure I can figure it out and post the steps. I figured someone will benefit from my learning experience.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two Walther Mauser's have something similar, a stalking safety, push button right to left. The 7x57 on the left and the 8x57 on the right. They both still retain the three position military wing safety as well.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a safety like those. Could I get a close up of each side please?

ADam

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Now just to be clear, the Greener can't be used with a housed trigger. Correct?

ADam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't seen a safety like those. Could I get a close up of each side please?

ADam

This all I have.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very interesting push safety. Might not be best for a magnum caliber being so close to the wrist. But, I like it.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now just to be clear, the Greener can't be used with a housed trigger. Correct?

ADam

Correct

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Greener side safety was designed for doubleguns. Pre-war European gunsmiths figured out a way to use it with a standard 98 style sear, but it never was popular.

I had one in a 98 years ago, and as I recall it simply locked the sear, as it could be used with a standard sear or a DST style kicker.

You are correct in that it most likely cannot be used with a one piece trigger unit.

I thought it was a neat feature to be used only when sitting in a stand, as I would not trust it during movement. The push button safety in the above pics is a lot more secure.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:
I thought it was a neat feature to be used only when sitting in a stand, as I would not trust it during movement. The push button safety in the above pics is a lot more secure.

This is what I was figuring. I want to install one for the experience but I also don't to do all of this to figure out it's not a good idea for stick situations. The Greener I have handled didn't bother me as it was located directly at the pad of the thumb, but I can't be sure that's the way mine would turn out without building a new trigger and marrying the two.

The other option is a tang safety. I guess I will see in a few months.

Boxhead, thanks for the pics. If you ever have that apart I would like pics of the internals.

Adam

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine the hardest part is drilling the stock at the precise location needed for the safety to function properly. The safety button only moves a fraction of an inch.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Doesn't seem like much room for error, I agree. One advantage of the Greener might be the one-sided application, less intrusive when compared to the push button. I don't I'd have the talent to do either one successfully. I hope the OP shows his progress. Should be interesting. CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With proper bedding, one or two lugs depending upon the round, I cannot see how the Walther safety would be an issue. It is a pretty slick design coupled with a well tuned two stage Mauser trigger with an auxiliary spring added so it all just works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a very nice Drilling with a Greener safe.
generally hunt birds with a S X S shotgun.
Stopping hunting birds with the drilling after shooting an 8x57 R 196 gr bullet at a grouse the third time. Happily, it was in the "black timber" in an area you're as likely to meet Al Sharpton as another hunter
(The tang "safe" was really the barrel "switcher"). Greeners were and are a bad idea.
A simple 2 position wing safe as found on commercial FNs is the best. If you can't unload a bolt action rifle (even w/o a hinged floorplate), without pulling the trigger, you really don't belong afield with a deadly weapon.