THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    45 year old new take off stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 year old new take off stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, today turned out to be my lucky day indeed. I had paid a bunch for a "New Takeoff" pre-64 stock for one of my guns. Well it came today and oh shit, I damned near feel over. It is mint, hell I wish I would have looked that good at 45+ years old. The wifey finally had to tell me to put it down before I dropped it or scratched it before putting it on the gun.
I just had to tell somebody jumping

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then clap

Good deal! It's great when someone gets a better than hoped for deal that makes them that happy!

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Where are the pictures???

I can't believe you tell a mouth watering story about a beautiful find and didn't post pictures! Big Grin

Congrats on the find. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This topic is worthless without PICTURES!!!

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PICTURES pre-64 70 264 win mag

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should have bought a PowerBall ticket last week with that kind of luck!

BTW is that a Brownell's latigo sling? IHMO they are one of the best buys on the market.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that a solid buttplate, or is that skeletonized? If it is, the discoloration of the checkering looks pretty cool. That should tell folks that the stock is old as dirt, and still looks kickass!

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Jimmy that is one fine stock.
May it shoot half as good as it looks and keep you smiling all the way!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gixxer, it is the bakelite pad with the phillips screws which is what I needed. The story I got is the present owner bought out an old time gunsmith that did custom work on only winchesters and he found this stock and one other in all the items he bought. Needless to say, I am very happy and the fit and finsh is just perfect.
The stock is very plain but from what I am told in this era most of the winchester stocks were like this due to the supply of blanks.
Thanks for all the kind words, just wish I could take better pictures, oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell by looking...

Is that a Boyd's, or Fajen, or maybe a GAG? Birch?

I just can't tell from this angle...

sofa

Cool

Nice set up my friend, and in one of my favorite calibers too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, that looks sweet. I do not think I have ever seen one that looks so new. And you never looked that good at 20. rotflmo

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote