One of Us
posted
h

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
That's some beautiful wood on the .338!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. I am a wood man myself.

PLEASE give me some details on the side lever Ruger, I am VERY INTERESTED. I can't quite visualize it.

Also who did the work.

Thanks,
Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steven,
I recognized the 30-40 from your book. In fact I recognized it before I recognized you! Smiler

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You went hunting with someone who didn't use one of your guns?????? Just teasing.

What I would like to ask is what you are now using as a traveling camera. Have you moved into the digital age yet, and if so what are you using.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gnmkr, looks like a great trip.please tell ed hello from 2 reprobate pigeon shooters{ me& Tre},Ill send ed pics of my TZ hunt.thanks,kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hey gnmkr -- I have your book and really liked the Madole pictures. Nice to see the rifle in action!

I'm sure many here would like to see some pictures of the right side of this rifle so they could appreciate the perfection of that side lever. Perfect shaping in my opinion!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of us that may not know (like me!! Smiler ), what is the title of the book and the author's name? Sounds like a book I'd be interested in.

Thanks,
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's "Custom Rifles in Black and White" by Steven Dodd Hughes.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gnmkr,
You used to be in Eugene, right? I've wanted to thank you for taking the time to help out a neophyte with the restoration of a Colts Bisley that was more rust than metal.

Your advice, tips and networking paid off, I believe, as it turned out much better than I had hoped when I started it.

Funny that I should get the chance in this forum when I'm a newbie here.

Thank you again,

Don

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Steven,

I have always admired the stockwork on that rifle. I expecially like the short fore end, with the half panels, the British checkering pattern and perfectly shaped ebony tip.

Good to see you have blooded the ".30-400" on African game.

I know it's sacrilege to say this, and this is by no means meant to disparage in any way your superb black and white photography--but seeing this rifle and the other ones in color on the front and back covers of your book made me want more!

Thanks for providing it.

And BTW, I love what Bolliger did with that Model 70. I love straight bolt handles. Is that a pre-64?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDH

Did you shoot any birds?

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
SDH, very nice rifles and photos. I like the deep curl of your Kudu.

For some reason Bolliger rifles have never warmed my heart, though I can see why others like them. I guess it's a Ginger Vs. Mary-Ann thing. Now your rifle is another story; that one I could spend a lot of time with. I really like the practical working-gun look.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Forrest, so what's not to like about Bolliger's rifles besides the fleur de lis checkering, which, I will grant you, is a little too Louis XIV for my tastes? Frowner

But, on the other hand, I always insist on choosing my own pattern. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
mrlexma, I never could figure out if that was fluer de lis checkering or a petticoat. I have a friend who lives in Florida who has taken his Bolliger 416 Rem to Africa about 15 times. His rifle is just now looking right to me.

I always say it's much a matter of taste and preference. One thing for sure though, Bolliger does build a quality rifle.

SDH, I'm glad you've made one of your dreams come true. Don't talk like you're finished with your Africa travels. What's the next animal on your dream list?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Steven,
I know it's sacrilege to say this, and this is by no means meant to disparage in any way your superb black and white photography--but seeing this rifle and the other ones in color on the front and back covers of your book made me want more!

Thanks for providing it.

I actually prefer the B&W photos, at least for my purposes. I think they make the lines, textures and surfaces more visible and easier to study than with color photography. The color and figure of fine wood seem to dominate a color photograph. Just my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing SDH. My girl friend's brother-in-law just got back too and is equally as pumped.

My time will come,

Don

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I hope this isn't out of line with AR forum rules, but what is the price of your book and the ordering address for those who might wish to purchase?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I hope this isn't out of line with AR forum rules, but what is the price of your book and the ordering address for those who might wish to purchase?

I got a (apparently unopened) copy for $US 24 from Alibris

I do wish the photos were in colour so I could appreciate the wood more...

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpb:
I do wish the photos were in colour so I could appreciate the wood more...

jpb

I just wish there'd be a second edition so I can more of the great gunmaking shown in the book!

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Steve, how far are along on your new book?

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I am interested in that book, but live North of you above the 49th. Will you inquire about shipping and let me know? I'd send a USD money order.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll call Ralph and see what he's got.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote