New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This wicked-kicking SOB is a Ruger 77 in .270 Win. with an 18 inch barrel that measures 0.500 at the muzzle. The gun weighs 7 pounds including the 3x9 scope, and it is removing my customer's fillings. Since he has rediscovered the laws of physics, he would like for me to install a muzzle brake. My question concerns the front sight. The bead slides off the front when the spring plunger is depressed, and that leaves what appears to be a set screw that is readily removed. I can't get the banded base to budge, however. Is this sight soldered on or installed with an adhesive?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Jacobs
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, LLC

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it's not what you asked and I mean no disrespect......

But I hate to see that rifle chopped up with a break........ Can you talk him into maybe buy a different rifle.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is held with a set screw, and are pounded on; sometimes they come off easy and sometimes they don't. Peen the outside and it will expand it and it will come off, try a brass punch on it first.
With a BFH.
There is no solder or glue.
Oh, JTEX is right; leave it alone.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has the standard Ruger pad, put on a Decelerator. It'll look better and help with the recoil.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
The way I do them is to pull the sight and then hone it out so it will slip on 1/2 inch farther than it should. Then I thread the first 1/2 inch to 1/2x28, push on the sight and then screw on the brake so that it shoulders up to the face of the sight. Brakes look even sillier than normal on those buggy whip barrels. Having the mass of the sight behind the brake takes away some of the (donkey dong) look.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Good pad and a tight sling for shooting and get off the bench. That barrel is rising and slapping his cheek with the stock I would guess. The experts have suggested how to put a brake on it. Also, that rifle is probably in some demand somewhere. They did not make too many. I hate to see it "improved."

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This wicked-kicking SOB is a Ruger 77 in .270 Win. with an 18 inch barrel that measures 0.500 at the muzzle. The gun weighs 7 pounds including the 3x9 scope

Might be easier just to add some weight.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. A bit of peening and a healthy whack with a hammer against an aluminum block slipped the sight right off.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there some physical issues? Msybe a good set of ear muffs would help. That short barrel must really bark and a muzzle braked makes matters worse.
The ACTUAL recoil reduction with a 270 muzzle break is just pissin in the wind.

A new recoil pad with proper pitch could be a good start

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote