New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Soldered scope ring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has a 4 digit Mauser sporter with claw bases. Small ring, 8mm, handles like a dream. He found a vintage scope with claw rings. Problem is the rear scope ring is in the wrong position. It is apparently soldered on because it only goes around the tube part way up each side. I told him he should send the scope to an expert to have it stripped before doing any heating. Maybe the expert could also remove the rear ring and it could be reinstalled with loctite or something. Yes? No? Who to send it to?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It needs to go to someone adept at fitting claw mounts. It's very unlikely that it will be a tight fit without some work. It may be beyond fitting unless your friend is up for TIG welding the tits and starting all over with the fitting process. The good news is that the scope can be dissassembled, cleaned and returned to like-new at the same time. I would think Duane Weibe or JJ at Champlins would be good places to start.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
It needs to go to someone adept at fitting claw mounts. It's very unlikely that it will be a tight fit without some work. It may be beyond fitting unless your friend is up for TIG welding the tits and starting all over with the fitting process. The good news is that the scope can be dissassembled, cleaned and returned to like-new at the same time. I would think Duane Weibe or JJ at Champlins would be good places to start.

I would recommend New England Custom Guns for claw mount work.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe is working on installing this rail mount scope on my mauser claw mount bases.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Nice work. But a trifle too high in the air above the action for my needs....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Nice work. But a trifle too high in the air above the action for my needs....

Height allows the original bolt handle to clear. I wanted the gun to remain mostly original.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The claw mounts are on the rifle. This is a vintage non original to the gun scope. The front mount on the scope is in the correct position. The rear mount is too far forward and the ring is fixed to the scope without screws, presumably soldered or, less likely, screwed from the inside. If the rear ring were loose the fitting would go without any skill needed. It is the scope which needs work. It wouldn't hurt to get it cleaned etc. also. What would be the contact info for the appropriate entity or craftsman for this work?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The truth of the matter is that no matter who you sent the scope and rifle to for the claw mount work they would in turn send the scope to Lee LeBas for disassembly, cleaning and refurbishment. They might even outsource the entire resolderig and squarebridge work to Lee. You might as deal with him directly.

Joseph Lee LeBas III
LeArmes Inc. L & L Enterprises
5775 Old US Hwy 395 N.
Carson City, NV 89704
(775) 841-3069

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Forrest, Lee sends the scope to Osborn Optical Systems 623 847 4705, When Earl Osborn takes the scope apart, then will send the parts to be soldered and blued back, then after that, it all goes to Earl for final assembly.

Lee hasn't done the "lens work" for quite some time.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Duane, thanks for the update. For once, I'm learning something about guns from you. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish it were a two street..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote