Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho S S, and Microfit Stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
On a classified discussion, I saw reference to Boyds Microfit. Perhaps it's Richards Microfit instead.

About a month ago, I bought two of the JRS specials from Midway, when they were on sale. Upon inspection, I sent them right back, because the tang was sticking up too far, when I set the action into the stock. Perhaps it just needed to be inletted deeper, but the stocks didn't look right, and I just didn't feel like messing with them.

So, are the Richards Stocks any better?

Also, if I wanted a really good stock, are the higher grades by such companies like Richards really as nice as the pictures they show?

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've seen an "old classic" in person and it looks nothing like the picture.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
If you don't feel like messing with them NONE of the semi-inlet stocks are for you. I don't know if accurate innovations is still in business but that might be your best bet.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have become increasingly dissatisfied with stocks from these makers. I haven't used a Boyds, but had a chance to play with / look at one and wasn't terribly impressed. You can count on all of them to send you something other than what you ordered, usually with a "not a big deal, easily repaired" void as part of the bargain - at least 50% of the time in my experience.

They all make great firewood though. The last chunk of Bastogne firewood I had only cost me $165 - I assure you it will be the LAST.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The void left by Fajen has never been filled.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
If you don't feel like messing with them NONE of the semi-inlet stocks are for you.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clear enough. The reason I didn't want to mess with these particular stocks is because the tang metal of the action was sticking up above the stock, just a little bit too much, when the action otherwise appeared to be sitting correctly into the stock. Perhaps it could have been corrected by inletting the action deeper, but probably not too. Inletting deeper may have then required filling with glass bedding, then I would be back to the start. I didn't want to mess with it because if I modified the stock, I couldn't return it. I believed there should have been extra wood there on the wrist and tang area of the stock.

Perhaps there is a difference in the Midway stocks and the unfinished version direct from Boyds?

I understand that there is a lot of work in finishing a one of these stocks, but I want some assurance, by initial inspection, that the end result will be acceptable. If the tang of the action is not flush, then the rest of the stock doesn't matter.

KB

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The void left by Fajen has never been filled.

Vacum might be a better choice of words but in any case Bill truer words were never spoken! I for one sorely miss Fajen & Bishop for that matter!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even the drop-in stocks I got directly from Fajen, when they were in business, still needed some tweeking. If you don't want to do any of that, I agree with the opinion above, don't buy one. I have not seen Boyd's product be different from them vs. Midway. I would just inlet it a little deeper, if it otherwise fits your needs.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
kabluewy, I think I understood it correctly. You may indeed have gotten a lemon but I think most of them are going to require plenty of inletting. In a lot of cases time is spent trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I think the larger volume people like Richards are in a spot where some people want it to be a near drop in and others want more wood left to remove to ensure a better fit. I will say Richards has done well for me as far as wood grading. Often times the wood is as good as a blank costing what an entire stock costs from them. I find it better to find a blank and send it off to a person with a duplicator and a pattern I like who also does what I consider a good job. Everybody has their own definition of that.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recently purchased two Boyds JRS Classic "seconds" for my Mauser projects. One was a walnut, the other a Blk Laminate. They were $39 a piece. One had the high tang like you described, the other had a small chip inside the mag well. I'm not building a $2000 custom rifle, so these are perfect for what I'm doing.

I just finished the walnut stock on my 257Rob. Here is a pic of it. Not bad for a $39 stock.

I personally think for the amatuer like me who just wants to do it theirself, these are great stocks. They are not going to win any awards, but they look decent and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I especially think they are great for those who want to get their feet wet. Screwing up a $39 stock doesn't hurt as bad. homer

Isaiah 41:10

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Thanks All,
Looks good to me. I think I'll give it another go.

KB