New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge Adapters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a question about cartridge adapter...you know, an adapter to fit a smaller cartridge of the same caliber into a firearm. My question is does prolong use of one eventually damage your firing pin? Does the firing pin damage the part of the adapter it strikes against?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It would help to know a little about the gun and caliber. What are they?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to a rimfire adapter for a centerfire chamber, as in a .22LR in a .223?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
I have a question about cartridge adapter...you know, an adapter to fit a smaller cartridge of the same caliber into a firearm. My question is does prolong use of one eventually damage your firing pin? Does the firing pin damage the part of the adapter it strikes against?

Star

Most adaptors use a hardened steel plug to transmit the firing pin blow to the primer of the smaller cartridge. So, over time there will probably be some indentation of the plug and some flattening of the firing pin tip. But I would think that you'd have to do a LOT of shooting before that would happen. Most of the adapters were made to be used occasionally and not full time.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:

Star

Most adaptors use a hardened steel plug to transmit the firing pin blow to the primer of the smaller cartridge. So, over time there will probably be some indentation of the plug and some flattening of the firing pin tip. But I would think that you'd have to do a LOT of shooting before that would happen. Most of the adapters were made to be used occasionally and not full time.

Ray

That's answers....thanks Ray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MCA is still around.

Alex adapters are no longer available.
The old guy in MT with two lathes has disappeared from the internet.

I think the MCA is a direct firing pin and a non rifled adapter body. This makes too much velocity before the bullet reaches the lands.

The old Alex was an adapter with an Aluminum firing pin tranfer pin, and slots with a slitting saw made in the adapter body. The Bullet is close to the lands.

I have also made my own from rifled barrel material with direct firing pin to primer contact. A hot 38 sp load in a 45/70 adapter itself can expand. A 45/70 sizer die cannot restore an expanded 45/70 adapter.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote