New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger Synthetic Stalk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a Ruger All Weather rifle with the new style synthetic stalk. The stalk is hollowed, and I would like to put some sort of weight in the stalk for target shooting. Ideally, I would also like to be able to remove the weight for hunting. Does anyone have a suggestion for doing this? Any help would be great. My only thoughts so far are to place a plastic bag into the stalk, then spray in window sealant with drop in some lead (it is inexpensive) a little bit at a time to let the insulation set up.
Thanks
Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
I've mixed epoxy with lead shot with good resluts. Also two part wood filler is heavy enough to use without the lead and you can use Pledge as a release agent and skip the bag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ben, if you are talking about one of those boat paddle stocks with the indents in the side try duct tape to hold it on. Nothing you can do can make them uglier than they are. Just tape some weights in and remove them when you are done.

BTW, how are things in the Palouse this spring. Wenatchee is getting very nice and warm.

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 04-03-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,
Things on the Palouse are just getting nice. The sky is now completely blue and the temperatures are just getting mild. It is much harder to stay inside and work.

The stalk is not the paddle design. I had the opportunity to buy one and passed. This stalk looks like a traditional stalk but has a cavity inside shaped like an irregular wedge. My current plan is to fill it mostly full with loose lead shot, then top that with some tightly packed Styrofoam peanuts. The butt pad will hopefully hold it all in place relatively quietly, and I can remove it all easily this fall for the hunting season.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote