New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norwegian Krag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone familiar, and will to share the information, about how to remove the sideplate from the left side of this action? I can find information about how to remove the plate from a US Krag but this is different.
Thanks

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to look at one of mine to remember bewildered, but I want to warn you about the barrel threads. They are LEFT HANDED!!!!!!! Eeker This is not a common thread and you can screw up things bawling if you don't know it.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, its obviously not welded on, so there must be either a screw or a pin or a spring loaded pluger holding it in place.

Push/pull out on the little tab on the side plate where the screw would be on a US Krag and see what happens.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried lots of the obvious things. Lifting the back edge slightly with a screwdriver (it does lift) but not with any indication of it coming out of a dovetail or lip. Tried tapping with a dowel while lifted. Tried pushing on the tab.
I feel confident that something like that will remove the plate but I want to avoid breaking a lip or edge. My feeling is that this has been on for 90 or so years. Could be a little rust/grease or dried oil. I've soaked the thing in kroil. If I knew exactly which way to push/pull I'd feel better about applying any additional pressure.
Look forward to any more thoughts.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give these guys a try. Just go there and post your question. Lots of very knowledgable guys and very helpful.
http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/krag/krag.pl

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Lift the magazine cut-off lever to its middle position, and pull it backwards. The sideplate then pops out easily.

Well, there are no middle position, but in the middle of between on and off. I have done this at lest 1000 times..... If it has stayed on for a while it might be tight, but smack it lightly with a rubber hammer and it should come out easily. Soaking it first is always a good idea.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This board is a great resource.
Mr. Fossdal, thank you.
Put cut-off lever in middle position, pulled back and plate came right off-just like you said. Actually, once you get it apart it's pretty obvious how it works. Hindsight is great.
Everything cleaned, reassembled and working properly.
Thanks again.
Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Fossdal,

Would you know if a Danish Krag sideplate comes off the same way. That action looks a lot different. It is a model 1889 originally chambered in 8x58R.

I traded for a Danish Krag action, a 98 US Krag action, and a Mexican 1910 action today.

What have I gotten myself into this time?

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rojelio:
Mr Fossdal,

Would you know if a Danish Krag sideplate comes off the same way. That action looks a lot different. It is a model 1889 originally chambered in 8x58R.

I traded for a Danish Krag action, a 98 US Krag action, and a Mexican 1910 action today.

What have I gotten myself into this time?

Rojelio

Hmpr, both the danes and the americans destroyed a good rifle when they changed the Norwegian Krag. I have not worked much on the danish Krag,
But out of the literature I have, they also have a magazine cut-off lever posisioned at the same place. I would asume it works the same way, if not, please contact me again, I will check it up.

Regards,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just figured it out. The loading gate (which swings forward instead of flipping downward to open like the US Krag) comes off as one wrap around unit with the left side plate and is held on with two screws on the bottom. Very odd. The cutoff lever has nothing to do with it. Thanks for the help, Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rojelio:
I just figured it out. The loading gate (which swings forward instead of flipping downward to open like the US Krag) comes off as one wrap around unit with the left side plate and is held on with two screws on the bottom. Very odd. The cutoff lever has nothing to do with it. Thanks for the help, Rojelio

I just found out myself, but good for you to make it on your own. Yea, the danes screwed the Krag real good. But, nice to have, and shoot on the range.
Good luck!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
Hmpr, both the danes and the americans destroyed a good rifle when they changed the Norwegian Krag.Regards,

Boy, that's the truth!! Not only did they mess up the action, but the Springfield boys insisted on adopting a cartridge design (.30/40 US) that was already obsolete when it was issued! Why couldn't they have chosen the rimless 6.5X55?? A much better all-round choice!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rojelio, your Danish Krag has possibilities. I have one in .450 Alaskan, made by Johnson's Kenai Rifles, the originator of that wildcat cartridge.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote