Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a Fiberglass Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I'd like to paint a stock and was thinking a flat black textured paint. What types have you used and would or would not recommend. Thanks.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used this:

http://www.krylon.com/products...ic_textured_shimmer/

It works just fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, from a can Fusion would be my go to

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Just follow the instructions on the Fusion can and make sure you let it set for several days. It seems to work pretty well and if you do scratch or ding it you can easily touch it up.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did same a few years ago and learned that the paint goes into solution with bug repellent. Icky, sticky. Since then I've had MPI in Oregon coat my stocks. Costs about $100, looks very good.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Spray on truck bedliner!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used "Make it Stone" by Krylon after applying an Epoxy primer to change this stock from neopolitan to black with tiny white specks. The amount of texture is controlled by how much spray is applied. With the black primer doing the majority of the "covering" I was able to go as light as I wanted with the texture.

And After

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote