Find
Notify
Tools

.308 barrel life.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
hy guys, just wondering what would the life expediency of a savage 99-c , .308 blue barrel be,i have shot this one about 2100 round's out of it, just curious Thanks: Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around 4000 rds is not unusual. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Richard,
The local PD changes barrels at 2500 rounds. They are using Rem. M-700 sniper rifles with Nightforce scopes. I don't mean to bad mouth your rifle, but I would be surprised if you could see a difference in less than 6000 rounds. I think your setup is about the finest around for shooting in timber country up to about 175 yards. Have a good day. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh common Bill, you know Keith has a Remington with over 8000 rounds through it. Still shoots x's! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
Careful. He'll try and sell it to you! It seems to me Al Mirdoch had one that had well over 5000 and it still shot very well. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Sounds like everyone is saying,,Smoke'em if you got 'em [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FN says the chrome lined FAL barrels are good for 15,000 rds

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 tends to be pretty easy on barrels. I've got a Rem 700 w/3400+ rounds through it and it's still very accurate. My long-range .308 target rifle has three barrels, one Hart and two Kriegers. Currently using one of the Kreigers with over 3200 rounds and it's a half moa shooter with good ammo. The Hart is amazing. It started life as a .300 magnum for long-range target shooting and has been cut down on both ends and re-chambered for .308, it's over 5000 rounds between the magnum and the .308 and is still too accurate to believe. Great barrel. In the Corps I had a STA platoon for a couple of years, we sent the M40A1's in for new barrels at 5000 rounds. Expected life was 8000, but nobody wanted to send a worn out barrel into combat so we replaced 'em early. Bottom line, I think it will be a long time before your Savage needs a new barrel! Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read about a test of a M1A, the barrel was most accurate after 4000rds, stayed at that level till about 6000rds, then started to fall off gradually, till at 10,000 groups had doubled in size.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been 5000 rounds out of a new 300 win mag, all of them hand loads and all of them mild. The rifle consitantly shot 3/4 inch groups for 20 to 25 rounds then went a bit over telling me to do a cleaning. I did and it tightened up. Accuracy fell off fast as I approached 5000 rounds. Incidently, I kept records in a notebook on every round fired except mayby those fired while hunting which don;t amount to very many so my round count is accurate. I just had a custom barrel out on a 270 and did a lot of research into barrel life. 5000 seems to be a lot of rounds. Some calibers start to lose accuracy after 2500.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have fired 3,366 rounds through one of my M1As and it still shoots sub-moa.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote