New
Find
Notify
Tools

450Marlin to 45-70?
 Login/Join

<quickdraw>
posted
Browning is bringing out the BLR in 450 Marlin this year. Would it be possible / What would it take to convert it to .45-70?

Thanks,
QD

[ 01-02-2003, 07:44: Message edited by: quickdraw ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to go through great pain to do this? Why not buy a new Marlin 1895 or Winchester 1886 Extra Light and be done with it. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<quickdraw>
posted
Ming,

I have a GG and love it. I just have a thing for BLRs and wondered if it would be difficult.

More than reaming the chamber I'm guessing?

Best,
QD

one of us
posted Hide Post
i dont think that would fly. besides feeding problems you would have to "back up the barrel a great deal to remove the belt in the chamber and the neck from the 450.
i would be more interested if you could rebarrel for a wsm based cartridge or a 350 mag for that matter.
whady'a think?
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only advantage would be the ability to use spitzer bullets.

I am thinking I would just like to get a cz in .458 win mag and maybe leave it as a standard .458 win mag and load with the speer 350 gr mag tips and use it like a flatter shooting 45/70. I cabn shoot pretty fast with a bolt gun any how and you would get 6 shot capacity in the cz .458 which would be more than in a marlin 45/70 or .450. I woould lop the barrel to 21" or 22" to save a little weight. Where the .458 may fail in some aspects I am begginning to think that it is a versatile round and that a cz .458 will fit really nicely into my battery, I think I need one... [Wink]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<quickdraw>
posted
Thanks for the input guys. Just a crazy thought.

woofer,
i bet you could rechamber the 358 winnie to 350 rem mag.

best,
qd