Find
Notify
Tools

Bell & Carlson Stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
Has anyone used one of these stocks? Was it easy to make it fit your action? I have a Mauser action I am thinking of stocking with one of these and was hoping for some feedback.

Thanks

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The one I picked up fealt like a club, ie very blocky in the hand, and heavy. Hence I've never purchased one and don't plan to.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have one I got about 18 years ago that has proven to be a reliable stock. It was for a M70 but just dropped in. I'd buy another one no problem if I needed to.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Riodot:

I have a B&C Medalist stock on a Mauser VZ-24 action in .458WM. I am very pleased with the result.

I did a lot of research and felt that the B&C stock met my criteria. I have the full length aluminum bedding which I recommend. It does not feel blocky or heavy to me and I added a 11 ounce mercury reducer in the stock to balance the heavy barrel and to reduce recoil. Finish was good and easy to fit.

I have NECG iron sights on the .458WM and the design of the stock makes it very easy to aim and align the sights when shouldering the rifle.

Overall, I am very pleased with the rifle and stock. I bought the tan with black web and like the look of the rifle with a matte blue/black finish.

The folks at Bell and Carlson were very helpful and told me I could get the stock cheaper at Cabelas than ordering it direct. I placed an order with the Cabelas Special Order department as I wanted the stock without a front swivel stud since this rifle had a barrel band sling swivel. No problem and no additional cost. B&C drop shipped the stock directly to me.

Do a search on this topic in Gunsmithing and Big Bores. It has been discussed in the past.

Good luck.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got one on my .275 Rigby built on a VZ24 action and it's been great. Mine doesn't have the aluminum block but my gunsmith did an excellent bedding job on it.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one of B&C's Carbelite stocks to replace the cheap plastic Butler Creek stock that came with my Weatherby Vanguard. I am completly satisfied as group sizes have shrunk and vertical stringing has been completely eliminated. It doesn't have the aluminum bedding like their Medallion, but it costs about $60 less.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I now am using two B&C stocks. They are the first plastic stocks that I have used in quite a while. The first was a used one I got for the M70 SA in 7mm WSM. There was some porosity around the front ring and recoil lug and it seemed to require tightening the front guard screw every time that I shot it.

When I called B&C about it they said that I could have a new one but because it was a magnum that I would have to upgrade to thier version for $55 so I traded with them. The new stock does not have the bedding block and the material still compresses under the tight screw. All along this rifle has been very accurate with both B&C stocks.

The material that they are made of seems somewhat like chopper gun material but it's not as hard as polyester resin. This material is very easy to work with and adhesives stick well to it.

These stocks seem to absorb some recoil and don't transmit noise like the hollow ones do. Over all I like the fit, feel and look of the B&C stocks. Now that I know more about such stocks however I wish I had got a cored stock like the Bansner and others as they save weight and improve the balance of a sporter. Overall the B&C stocks are worth what you pay for them.

Now I have a second B&C stock on an old M70.

My current answer to composite stocks is to get them with a new rifle from Kimber.

Above is a pic of the M70 SS Classic in 7mm WSM.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've installed 2 Carbelite stocks on rifles: one on a VZ-24 in .357 Whelen AI, and one on a Weatherby Mark V in .257 Weatherby. The best thing I can say about them is that they are inexpensive. Both of them were picked by the customer because of that reason alone. The forearm on both are very flexible--too flexible--and the barrel channels were not straight with the action so that the end of the barrel channel pushed significantly against one side of the barrel and required a lot of work to fix. I stffened up the one on the Weatherby by deepening the entire barrel channel and Acra-glassing the entire channel but I've decided I won't install any more of these stocks.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbrook
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of their medalist stocks on my 700s and I really like them. They have a decelerator pad, are a trim classic design, the standard long actions "fit" real well, the forearm is very stiff and the guns hold zero very well. I do not have any experience with the cheaper carbolite stocks.

Posts: 524 | Location: SE MIchigan | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put one on a Smith & Wesson (made by Howa) 7X64 Brenneke about 20yrs ago for one of my boys to use deer hunting and it was very accurate. I just dropped the barrled action into the stock and tightened the screws. It shoots better than a number of other rifles that I've spent considerably more time and money on with much less results. I don't think it's cluby or excessivly flexible. Cheap price but good is my experience.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote