Notify
Tools

Dura Coat, Good or ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
Does anyone have any experience with the Dura Coat firearm finish?
I looked at a pistol that was done and the finish looked good to me. They say that it is flexible and almost impossible to chip.
Would this be a good alternative for corrosion resistance vs the Teflon-Chrome or NP3?
It looks like you can spray it on yourself and let it cure without much of an investment in equipment. Just an air brush...

This is their Rem 870 Black. It seems like it would be easier than trying to hot blue at home.
thoughts?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stripped 3 firearms last yr. bought the airbrush,compressor, the whole thing. believed I took care of the metals good-obviously did not. I am having some areas of paint on 2 firearms that did not take.

Done the 94' .30-30 in a two-tone, od grn and combat blk. still holding up and looks very good. Next time and I am sure there will be, I will parkerize first then hit it with color(s). or just have one cerakote the guns.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Apply it over park or don't apply it at all. You really need some type of blasted surface for this product to adhere to or it won't work well.

You can surely apply it yourself. But I would highly recommend you have someone parkerize your firearms first. (Or you can do that yourself too if you like.)

Just my $.02 based on my experience with the product.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the parkerize.

It also makes a difference if you bake cure it. Some guns like marlin guide guns and ar-15's will fit in your home oven, most bolt actions won't.

I've done three guns with dura-coat, all at the same time, about 2 years ago. My ar-15 was already parked, and I baked it in the oven. It still looks like the day I did it. My guide gun was not parked, but did get baked. Some of the edges started to peel on my hunting trip 2 weeks ago. My CZ 550 was not parked and had to air cure since it would not fit in my oven. The finish started to come off after about 6 months, and large areas of it rubbed off during bear season back in october. I'm pretty rough on my guns and I use these guns all year long. In and out of gun racks, truck beds, boats, and riding on tractor fenders.

It's definately worth it if you get it parked first, and bake it.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used Gun Kote then the last couple have been dura coat. I sand blast the paint then bake. Has made ti throuh two mountain trips. Sharp edges are the first to go.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote