Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 ackley
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hi all,
I am just in the process of re-barrelling my Ruger no1 in 6.5-06 ackley, this is a new barrel so not trying to convert an old chamber to an improved..
My question is this: how do I calculate the headspace, I do have an 06 go gauge, but not a no go gauge.
Does it really matter on a falling block how deep the chamber is, as there no issues with bolt closure.
I understand if its too long there are case issues but if its a few thou short then does it matter?

regards
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
As you probably know, Ackley chambers are designed to be about .005” shorter than their parent cartridge, providing a “crush” fit when fireing standard factory ammunition, but with a Ruger No 1 you don’t have much, if any, cramming force to crush a cartridge. In that case reaming until the go-gauge is just flush with the breach would be fine.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did mean flush with breech block face, correct?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, thank you.

John Farner

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
This is a reply I got several years ago regarding setting up an AI chamber;

"On the AI chamber...
The go guage for the parent cartrige becomes the no-go guage for the improved chamber. An Ackley go guage is then used to actually set up the chamber. It will be shorter than the parent-cartridge go guage".

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
thanks for the replies, I would like to to just confirm when you mean, flush with the breech block you mean the the falling block itself and not the the back of the barrel..
I have been looking at reamer specs and the ackley is 9 thou shorter from the base to the base of the neck than the standard ie: 6.5-06 2.173" base to base of neck and 2.164" for the ackley so if it left the standard go gauge 9 thou short that would work?

regards
Griff

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Just make it flush with the breach block; doesn’t matter what the measurement is. If you try to make chamber .009” shorter than standard cartridge it will likely stick out too far and you most likely will not be able to close the breach block because falling-block actions can’t force or crush the cartridge the way a bolt action can. I just don’t know how to explain it any simpler than that.

John Farner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi John,
thankyou for the info..

regards
Griff