Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 673 Guide modifications?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all-

The .350Rem.Mag has sparked my interest. I was looking at the new 673, but that rib would have to go. How is it attached? Could one be removed? I think a 673 with the rib removed, and the stock painted to look like a sythetic would make for a neat shooter. I normally don't mind laminates, but that sucker is UGLY. It seems that if this could be done, then it would be the easiest route to a decent rifle. Any thoughts?

Thanks - Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would seem to be cheaper to rebarrel an old beater 700 ADL which you could pick up cheap. Rebarreled and reblued with the cost of the gun would still probably come in under the 673 new. I have a Boyds laminate JRS for a short action 700 ADL if your looking.

Posts: 1523 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin-

I considered that. But, doesn't the .350mag have a 'magnum' size case head? If it does, then I would have to either buy an old long mag action (which would defeat the purpose of the 350, I could then do a .358 Norma), or, find a relatively new short action with the larger bolt face. In that case, I might as well start with the 673. What I'm getting at is that if I could make the idea work, it would be far easier than finding an action, sending it out for a barrel, etc, etc. I'm just trying to take the easy route I guess!

Thanks for the reply

Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can have the bolt face opened up for just a few bucks when the barrel is being done. New rifles are seldom a "deal" A lot of times a used gun with a bit of gunsmithing can be turned into "just right" and you'll enjoy it more. The 350 really can't do much more than the 35 whelen anyway, which is an even easier conversion,just rebarrel any 270, or '06 which are easy to find used. I got a FN mauser with a 3 position safety, engraved floorplate, black fiberglass stock with decelerator pad, and rust bluing for 900 used(scope mounts and rings too)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try looking for a 600 or 660 on the auction sites. One of those would work with just a new stock if you like. they are a good looking action. you could probably find one for less than the new 673.

personally I like ribbed barrels and the only thing I would change is the horrible abomination that they have on there for a front site. That is just sinful.

It isn't too hard to find rifles already chambered in 350 remington mag., I have seen them from time to time for reasonable prices. Just right now I don't see any that would spark my interest.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys. I realize that there are a lot of ways to go about this. I also considered the 600/660 thing. What I really am interested in is if I can turn a 673 into something a little more appealing over a weekend or so. I have nothing against the Whelen, and wouldn't mind owning one. However, it isn't a .350RemMag, and that is what I am envisioning this project to be. So, how easy is it to remove the rib on a 673?

Thanks - Gib

one of us
posted Hide Post
find a used 700 classic in 350. 22" tube and nicer looking than most new rifles. you get sights, proper tube length and a host of stock options should you decide on a syn...
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The 350 is a great bear rifle in Pennsylvania....But I picked up 3 of those rifles in the local sporting goods store and the all did the same thing the stock is cut wrong and when I aimed it the rear sight to the front did not line up...
They were three different rifles weeks apart...

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 Rem. Mag., MarkX action in a B&C stock, unknown barrel is 26" (I think?). I'll sell it cheap, with mounts and a 6x18 Tasco scope (that you can use for a fence post). Remington is now making Model 673's in 6.5 Mag. so ammo is available. Or, you could rebarrel to .350 for not much. Another option is my Remington Custom Shop Model 7 in .350 Rem. Mag. It has a McMillin stock and a matte barrel that's coated with some stuff like Parkerizing, but better. It is the standard Custom shop model with professional gunsmith tweaking on the trigger, feeding, etc. It shoots 225 Barnes X's at 2700 fps into an inch. The first barrel on the gun (some of you may remember) had too large a chamber, but Remington put a new barrel on last year. I'll throw in about 50 brass and loaded ammo, too.

The Mark X, scope, etc., $400 plus shipping
The Model 7 plus Leupold mounts, $700 plus shipping

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's kind of like making a silk purse out of sow's ear, you can do it but why would you want too? (Like putting an afterburner on a turtle)
Shoot, I'd wait for inevitable 35WSM or 338WSM, either of them would fit your needs.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gib,

I'd guess that it is held on with small screws, just like the 600 that I have. After you remove it, please send the screws to me so that I can replace the ones that are missing.
Thanks,
Jay

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GIB,

How should I put this lightly, IF YOU DON'T BUY JUDGES MODEL 7 YOUR ARE INSANE, IT IS A STEAL AND YOU'LL BE HAPPY.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
sent you a PM

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little late to this post but I'll add my thoughts on the 350RM and how to go about building a good one.

The 350RM is great round with bullets 225gr and under in the Rem actions. The round makes great use of short barrels and thats where it has it over the Whelen. However, the 35 Whelen will launch the heavier bullets (250gr+) alot faster.

The problem with the 350RM in a Rem action is the short 2.800 mag box length, heavy bullets have to be seated deep in the case to function thus robbing case capacity. This is one of the reasons I feel Big Green is offering factory loads with 200gr bullets.

The way to a great 350RM which makes full use of its case capacity with heavy bullets (and light bullets too) is to look no further than the Win 70 WSM actions. I picked up a brand new donor for $600, sold the stock and barrel for $140. Just sent it off to the 'smith to have it chambered and rebarreled for the 350RM with 250gr bullets seated out to a COL of 3.020". The Win 70 WSM action only needs a mag follower change to make it feed the 350RM cartridge. I used a LA belted mag follower trimmed to length to fit the WSM mag box, worked out great. Swap out the cast extractor for one of Matt's (Triggerguard1) SS units and you are there.

I opted for a 21" bbl SS in a 12 twist. Predicted velocities for 250gr bullets are for around 2630fpsMV.

The rifle w/scope will weigh in at an est 7.5 lbs, have an overall length of 40.5" and will whip the pants off any Rem 673 Guide Gun! With these velocites, my 350RM will have an effective range out to 350yds easily, further if you have a LRF. But most chores for this rifle will be black bear, elk and moose medicine in the dark heavy timber. May pop a bison with it next Dec too.

Whats not to like about this package? Oh and the price? About $1100-1200 doing all the work myself except for the machine work.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MtnHtr,
I'm sure you will enjoy your new rifle, clever way of going about it to seat the bullets out further. But I'm going to stand by my previous assertion that the 350 is a short 35 whelen, they are within 1 gr of water case capacity. 2630 is essentially the same as a whelen, maybe 50 fps faster. Not knocking you though, yours is going to be nice and a definite improvement over the round in a remington.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
You are correct. The main advantage of my rifle over the Whelen will be a shorter more compact rifle with the same performance. Short light rifles seem to point faster which may or may not be a factor to some. I start appreciating a light rifle towards the latter of extended physical hunts so thats where the 350RM got the nod for this project. A heavy hitter in a compact package for mtn hunting.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG-

If I had the funds right now, I would no doubt take that Model 7 off your hands. It pretty much sounds exactly like what I would want mine to end up like. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds right now to do so. I've gotta start thinking about what I can liquidate in the safe to fund this project though, or to buy that 7 from you if its still around in a few months.

Thanks to all for your comments.
-Gib

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey JudgeG. Still got that M7? Send me a PM.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gib I can get one of those 673's NIB in 350 in your hands for about $700 or a little less.

I have one that I mounted a 2 3/4 Burris on and it is a very nice setup. The rib can be taken off, but having never taken mine off I don't know if there are also pins holding the rib on or just the screws.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote