New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: safeties
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't have them in my hands yet but he is getting them to me and said that he would take 25 each for them. 2 are committed for, somebody has dibs on 2 and that leaves 2.

I am going to be leaving tomorrow to go hunting, will only be back two days next week to work, then have to go and hunt some more, so we're looking at about 10 days before I will be able to get anything out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The FN shroud is a screw on affair. You might still need to fit the flag to properly engage the cocking piece but that is much simpler than installing the other safeties.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Since we seem to be drinkin' and cussin' about Mausers at the present, is there a after market shroud and safety combination that one can just screw onto the rear of a M98 bolt? I've got this neat little Erma action that I'm slowly working up into a classic Light, probably in 6.5x55, and for a change, I'm going to mount a scope on it. I know that I could probably, after a couple of tries, install a Timney Buhler style safety for a very reasonable price but I'm both busy and lazy. I'd spend a few bucks more to make it even easier.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Sure those safeties will screw on but they will not work with just a little filing on the cocking piece. There are more extensive mods required. As far as I know there are only two shrouds that are essentially Plug & Play; the one I mentioned and a commercial shroud designed for use with a trigger mounted side safety.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Now is that FN shroud available from Brownell's? I didn't see it when I was looking at the Timney. Where do you get one?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately they are not vailable from Brownells. You have to look on the used market. They are out there. Most folks seem to prefer the model 70 style safety. The JC Higgins model 50 had this same safety.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Thanx, I just bought one for $23.50 + 1.65 shipping. Hell, that's less than the cost of the safety alone! Y'gotta love AR.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Where the hell did you find one for $23???

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
AuctionArms.com It was just sitting there, looking lonely, with no one to bid on it so I let it follow me home.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would make new FN safeties. I have been looking for one but have not found any. Z1R, any leads?

Tom

Posts: 35 | Location: Half Moon Bay, California | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Is it like this one: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6125838

That is not an FN safety. Rather it is styled to work like one. The Safety itself is about $9 at GPC. I think these folks put them together to trick people into thinking that they are FN safeties. the FN safety sells for three times that or more. My last one set me back $70. The GPC saftey works well enough and requires no alteration to the shroud but they are soft and wear quickly. They are also quite loose in the shroud. there was a thread about this very subject not long ago.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Oh-ho! Then the site you printed is another one coming up for sale? Someone ignored my bid? Hmmmmm... Well, if "riflesmith" contacts me for the sale, I can always send it back immediately. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I better just buy a Timney and be careful when I put it in. Oh well, so we learn.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have been looking into having some made. It will take a lot more investigaion on my part though. I do have a few prosepective makers. they do come up for sale from time to time. I finally got my first a few weeks ago off of auction arms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about one of my side swing two-position ones? I have a group of 8 of them getting blued right now. They have the PM color cased levers and will in 99%of the sases, fit right up with no mods.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Jim,
That sounds interesting. Can you email me a picture or post one here? What will you be charging?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested also. thanks capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of one of Jim Kobe's 2-position safeties I have installed on my 1909. I didn't order this directly from Jim, a mutual friend of ours merely removed my shroud and Buehler safety and reassembled with Jim's shroud and safety.

That was all that was involved. It works well and looks good. Actuation is smooth and positive. In function it does the same thing as the Buehler, camming back the striker and locking the bolt, but the lever is so much more accessible.....particularly when wearing gloves.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, would one of your safetys fit a M48???

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of that safety Jim. How much would you like for something like that? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote