Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Sporter front sight, question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I see on many old Springfield sporterized rifles a common front sight that I need identified. I see these on Krag and '03 's and wonder if they are a Lyman?
Where can I find them?
I have a couple upcoming projects and would like to find some to use.
Please look at the sight pictured below, the picture is not mine but Petrov's. I also posted this in "Sporterized Military rifles".
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Lyman and Redfield made banded ramp front sights at one time, nothing current. On mine, I used an old stock Redfield that I found at a gun show.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
craigster have you seen any around like the one in the picture in my post?
Yours doesn't look banded but the picture is small I may not be seeing it correctly.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Redfield. I sold about 6-7 a few years ago. pics tonight.

Rich

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a better picture. I haven't seen any around recently, but I haven't been looking. Have a local gunshow this weekend. If I come across one there want me to snag it?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes that is what I'm looking for.
If I need one then I probably need 2. If you see some decent ones get them and I'll re-imburse you or whatever you think is fair.
Thanks for the offer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What inside diameter of the band will work for you? IIRC, I had to hone the ID a bit on the one I used.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is that what you are looking for , you can find it here:
http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla/de/katalog-7.html

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
What inside diameter of the band will work for you? IIRC, I had to hone the ID a bit on the one I used.

.6" to .625" or .65" for one of them or something close to that. Another one can be larger.
One I will put on a 30/40 Krag the other an 03 that will be a .400 Whelen so that may mic a little bigger.
Let me know what you find by phone if you like.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavenknows:
If it is that what you are looking for , you can find it here:
http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla/de/katalog-7.html

The Recknagels are nice but there is something very retro and appealing about the Lyman's and Redfields that I like better, thanks for the help, the Recknagels would go nicely on my .375.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Look on ebay for old Lymans or Redfields. Be sure the ID will fit your barrel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LYMAN-RAMP...&hash=item1c1bca3d14

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Redfield

looks like tree bark

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the one on my rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

If you cannot find an old Redfield you might want to ask Midway to send you their Gunsmithing catalog. Catalog #32G has three different types of banded front sight ramps. Brands are: "Masterpiece," "H&H," and "Universal" and they come in a variety of sizes and prices from $69.99 to $141.99. They are all "steel in the white."

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Barstooler I have the Midway and Brownell's catologs and I know which sights you are talking about however this particular project I'm trying to make it look "old school" and these particular Redfields and Lyman sights kinda do that for me!